OK
In progress indicator

Do Viburnum Leaf Beetles attack Buddleia plants too?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Jo Christoforides

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

My Viburnum has been decimated this year for the first time by VLB and upon searching to identify the culprit initially, I have found images of both larvae and adults. In addition, my buddleia has been attacked by greenfly/aphids and I have spotted a beetle type creature on its leaves seemingly eating the aphids! It looks a lot like the picture of the VLB in the adult stage but I assume it's a different insect altogether and that this one might actually be beneficial. Can anyone help please? Image 1 my insect on buddleia, image 2 VLB and larva.

Do Viburnum Leaf Beetles attack Buddleia plants too? (18/06/2013)Do Viburnum Leaf Beetles attack Buddleia plants too? (18/06/2013)

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 2374
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Tue. 18th June 2013 12:52

Re: Do Viburnum Leaf Beetles attack Buddleia plants too?

Reply from Carol

The thing eating the aphids is a ladybird larva. It will eventually pupate and turn into a ladybird. Don't know about the VLB.

• Posted: Fri. 21st June 2013 16:17

Re: Re: Do Viburnum Leaf Beetles attack Buddleia plants too?

Reply from Jo Christoforides

Carol, thank you. I found the ladybird larva in a book moments after posting on Shoot and couldn't believe that I thought this was a "bad guy". Glad that I was restrained enough not to spray these on sight. VLB is the new No.1 pest on the RHS list I believe and though one of my three Viburnum bushes is infected, the other two remain healthy as far as I can see. Am going to clip away all damaged foliage and spray profusely to kill the larvae before they turn into the adult beetle. Just hope that I'm in time. Jo.

• Posted: Fri. 21st June 2013 20:54