In progress indicator

Air-borne seeds!

In progress indicator
Full size image

General post from Fi

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi all
Encouraged by your posts on starting your seed-planting last week, in the warm weather I started a few pots and trays and put them in my 3-tier plastic greenhouse happily anticipating the next few weeks surprises.
Well - what a surprise. A few days ago we had gale force winds and the entire greenhouse was lifted up and deposited on my patio - soil everywhere! Luckily it missed my sheltering pots of acer, camelia etc, phew.
Going to try again this weekend - but it's still cold and windy, so in the dining room this time! Just have to keep the cat off the window sills.
Enjoying these forums very much.
Fi

• Views: 812
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Fri. 27th March 2009 10:51

Oh no!

Reply from Joanne 9919

Grrrr, I hate winds. It's blowing a gale here at the moment.

Did you put a brick on the bottom shelf of your greenhouse? I do this with mine just to give it a bit of extra weight. Mind you, strong winds would still blow it over.

I'm really enjoying these forums too. You can learn so much from other gardeners no matter what their experience.

Jo.

• Posted: Fri. 27th March 2009 13:24

Grrrr!

Reply from Georgie

Hi Fi

Sorry to hear about your disaster. :(

I anchor my 4-tier plastic greenhouse by storing bags of compost, chicken pellets etc (anything heavy) on the bottom shelf. Luckily mine is in a sheltered spot against a wall but I've heard of so many disasters like yours I don't think it pays to be complacent. And by my reckoning the bottom self of a mini greenhouses isn't that much good for plants anyway as it is the coldest and the darkest.

Georgie

• Posted: Fri. 27th March 2009 19:02

Lesson Learned!

Reply from Fi

I've now repositioned it against the summerhouse, with guy rope hooks on the frame! But think I'll put something heavy in the bottom too - unfortunately I had used the compost that was in there and only had trays and pots - flying pots all over the garden.
Plus today in retrieving everything was that my new (2 month old) wildlife pond is full of tadpoles! I thought they'd been destroyed in the late Feb snow, so I was very delighted.
I'm going to upgrade I think, and add my plants and a plan. Really got the bug now.
Best
Fi

• Posted: Fri. 27th March 2009 19:15

lesson learned

Reply from Lynn Franklin

I think there are a lot of us that have had that happen in the past, I learnt the hard way and lost all my seeds a couple of years ago.

• Posted: Thu. 2nd April 2009 06:10

Thanks for the chin up

Reply from Fi

Thanks - felt a bit stupid to say the least.
But now .... went to check the few seeds I have entrusted to it to find they are bone dry! Must be getting very warm, good job I've kept the rest on the window sill!
BTW mange tout and sweet peas emerging after 4 days!!
Fi x

• Posted: Thu. 2nd April 2009 22:24