In progress indicator

help for newbie

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from julie watters

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

hi guys i am new to gardening this year. i have spent all year growing seeds into plants and now my garden is looking very nice with lots of different colours popping through.i am planning on building a raised bed in my front garden. i will be doing this throughout autumn and winter ready for planting new plants in it in the spring. my question is can i start the seedlings in autumn winter in my greenhouse so they will be ready and big for planting in the bed. i have a big plastic walk in greenhouse that is NOT heated

• Views: 545
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Mon. 15th July 2013 17:27

Re: help for newbie

Reply from Sue Jeffries

Hi Julie, Are you thinking of growing flowering plants or vegetables?

• Posted: Mon. 15th July 2013 17:57

Re: Re: help for newbie

Reply from julie watters

flowering perennials and also want to start off some peppers, chillies and tomatoes for growing in pots next year

• Posted: Tue. 16th July 2013 13:57

Re: Re: Re: help for newbie

Reply from Sue Jeffries

Hi,
I'd leave the vegetables until next Spring, these ones don't overwinter (but Broad Beans could if you like them). For hardy perennials July/August is a good time to sow seeds and get your seedlings going. They won't flower this year, but they will develop a good root system over the Autumn and Winter and be ready for planting out in the Spring. After you've pricked them out into individual pots you can leave them outside (just watch out for slugs and other pests) until the frosts start and then put them in the greenhouse over winter (careful not to water them too much if it's cold, just keep the compost moist). Enjoy! Nothing like a raised beds with fresh top soil for great plants.

• Posted: Tue. 16th July 2013 18:14

Re: Re: Re: Re: help for newbie

Reply from julie watters

that is fantastic thank you very much. i wanted to get a head start on them. i know they wont flower but when spring comes they will be nice strong plants ready for planting in raised bed. i will leave the veg till next year. you have been a great help.

• Posted: Wed. 17th July 2013 07:32