In progress indicator

Peat

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Lynn Franklin

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Having just watched the programme on the use of peat in the garden has really got me to thinking about what I use. It's going to be a challenge but I think after seeing Toby's remarks I'm going to have a go. Anyone else been moved to make changes?

• Views: 1310
  • Replies: 8
  • Posted: Sat. 28th March 2009 18:47

Gioing peat free

Reply from Georgie

Hi Lynn

I read Toby's article in the March edition of GW magazine and I've decided that it's time to go peat free too. I've been writing about it on my blog and I agree it is quite a challenge.

Georgie

• Posted: Sun. 29th March 2009 22:05

peat free

Reply from Lynn Franklin

have you ever tried any of the peat free composts that are available?
Some of them haven't had very good growing results, I'd be interested to read the results from 'Which' to see what ones they recommend.
I finally had enough of my own compost to put on some of the garden, this ground hadn't been fed with anything for (according to the neighbour) about 30 years, so I really have my work cut out for me

• Posted: Mon. 30th March 2009 08:09

peat free

Reply from Georgie

No, I haven't tried them before. This year I'm trying some of the New Horizon organic and peat free products such as their vegetable compost and multi-purpose compost. (I think NH came out best in the Which trials.) And I will be mixing the NH multi-purpose with my own compost and a slow release organic feed from Vitax to make 'heavier' potting compost for things like shrubs in containers. We'll have to compare notes.

I harvested my first batch of compost this year yesterday to spread on part of my border. Feels great doesn't it?

Georgie

• Posted: Mon. 30th March 2009 20:01

compost

Reply from Lynn Franklin

I don't think you can beat your own compost, it's satisfying knowing you 'grow your own' I will have to look out for the NH products and give them a go.
Well done for picking a peat free one, I checked my bags and they have Irish peat in :( although they are organic

• Posted: Thu. 2nd April 2009 06:06

Feeling smug!

Reply from Fi

Hi Lynne
I checked my latest bag of compost and am so pleased I bought peat free - duh duh! However, it was a cheaper one and seems to be full of small twigs (not small enough for little pots!). So I think the New Horizon organic mentioned on Toby's excellent programme is the one to go for.
I'm missing Gardeners World, hope it starts again soon!
Fi

• Posted: Mon. 30th March 2009 21:43

gardeners world

Reply from Lynn Franklin

It starts tonight Fi, the first one to come from the new plot in Birmingham, really looking forward to it, seems like there's going to be a lot of interesting topics

• Posted: Fri. 3rd April 2009 19:23

Oh no missed it

Reply from Fi

Thanks Lynn, went out tonight to a friends for dinner (fellow garden enthusiast) and missed it! But, thank goodness for on demand, or iplayer, will choose a quiet moment over the weekend to enjoy it.
Did you watch it?
Best, Fi

• Posted: Fri. 3rd April 2009 23:15

GW

Reply from Lynn Franklin

sorry I didn't get back to you Fi, have you managed to catch up with GW now? are you enjoying the new garden so far?

• Posted: Thu. 16th April 2009 06:23