In progress indicator

Swapping roses.

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Bar Lawson

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Is it possible to plant a newly acquired rose on the site of a rose that had been in that spot for a year, or is the soil permanently 'rose dead' ?

• Views: 560
  • Replies: 7
  • Posted: Thu. 25th July 2013 16:31

Re: Swapping roses.

Reply from Nicola

Hi Bar, I think you should dig out the soil to a depth and width of 45cm (18in) and exchange it with soil from a different part of the garden But I am checking in twitter too. I know you need to be careful.

• Posted: Thu. 25th July 2013 20:02

Re: Re: Swapping roses.

Reply from Bar Lawson

Yes, that's what people are telling me, but I thought I would check with Shoot first, it attracts a whole host of people with similar experiences, thank you Nicola.

• Posted: Fri. 26th July 2013 12:05

Reply from Bar Lawson

Yes, that's what people are telling me, but I thought I would check with Shoot first, it attracts a whole host of people with similar experiences, thank you Nicola.

• Posted: Fri. 26th July 2013 12:05

Re: Swapping roses.

Reply from Ian McLintock

Bar, rose sickness can persist, but isn't permanent. If it's only been in a year, not too bad. Digging out old soil is a very good way to do it. You can also use microrhizal fungi on roots when planting - any good garden centre will have or order on line. RHS also recommend planting marigolds as they act as a soil fumigant, but I've never tried this. Feed and water well in 1st year. Ian

• Posted: Thu. 25th July 2013 20:21

Reply from Clockhouse Nursery

Highly recommend microrhizal fungi. Sounds strange the idea of actually putting a fungus in with your root system, but this is a clever fungus that will help promote healthy, strong root development. Its trading name is "Rootgrow", it too is endorsed by the RHS and roses where the main influence in its development.

• Posted: Fri. 26th July 2013 09:58

Re: Re: Re: Swapping roses.

Reply from Bar Lawson

Thank you Clock House Nursery, I've received a whole range of advice and the fungi has been suggested frequently, so I think I'll give it a go.

• Posted: Fri. 26th July 2013 12:11

Reply from Bar Lawson

Thank you Ian, I've seen the bags of fungi and assumed that they were all about healthy roots, I'm definitely going to try some.

• Posted: Fri. 26th July 2013 12:08