OK
In progress indicator

Gravel and stone patio - weed propagation!

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Fi

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

The attached pic shows my (diy) patio, gravel and slate slabs which having built myself I am very proud of. It features an acer palmatum dissectum, corylus avellana contorta, black stemmed bamboo. Unwelcome visitors include herb robert, chickweed, grass, hardy geraniums which self seed hydroponically!
How best do I control the weed propagation without killing the wanted plants? And am I heading for problems with my choice of plants - gloomy friends tell me so, but I love them.
Many thanks.
Fi

Gravel and stone patio - weed propagation!

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 1460
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Tue. 31st March 2009 17:59

Gravel gardens

Reply from Andrew Tomes

Fi,
The usual construction for gravel is, (as you probably have done), with a membrane underneath. If there were no perennial rooted weeds underneath, the weeds should only be on the surface of the sheet. So a tug would lift them from the stone if you get them early. There used to be and probably still are residual herbicides which contaminated the surface so weeds would not germinate but personally I feel that's not healthy gardening. Tumble weed only acts on green matter it can be sprayed around stems of woody plants/shrubs and if you do it on a warm spring day before the leaves of your very choice specimens are out, there is less to fear. Personally I d go easy with a chemical though it is glysophate which is neutralised on contact with earth and is translocactive meaning it is taken through the plant to the roots. Do nt let it drip on anything green that you want and if you tread on sprayed areas and then walk on the lawn you get patches of dead footprints in a week.

Andrew Tomes
www.bellgardensltd.co.uk

Gravel gardens

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Wed. 1st April 2009 00:14

Agreed

Reply from Fi

Hi Andrew, thanks for taking the time to answer my question - it's really helpful. I had some concerns as I try to garden organically. I think I will just have to get the kneeler out and pull them out by hand. If I had wanted hardy geraniums, they wouldn't have taken would they! I did try some spray weed killer last year but felt quite sick when I saw the wilting, brown plants. I have lots of frogs, and a family of hedgehogs so think I'll take your warning and stay organic. Thanks for reminding me.
The pic you have with your link is beautiful.
Thanks again,
Fi

• Posted: Wed. 1st April 2009 17:49

Getting rid of weeds without chemicals

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Fi - I try to get rid of weeds without chemicals as well. When I am in no mood to crawl around on hands and knees tugging weeds, I head for the kettle. Put the kettle on and once the water has boiled, take it outside and pour directly on the offending weeds- they will be shriveled up by the end of the day. Any toughies that are still alive the next day, I just hit again with boiling water. My other choice is apple cider vinegar - a bit smelly but also kills most weeds on contact.
Kathy C.

• Posted: Mon. 6th April 2009 22:25

heat treatment for weeds

Reply from Mark Pumphrey

The easiest method is to use a flame torch to control the weeds growing in the gravel. The heat from the torch will kill the weeds by damaging their cell walls. This method avoids disturbing the gravel which can cause more seeds to germinate. The torch will also destroy dormant seeds that potentially will germinate.

Mark Pumphrey MSGD
http://www.broadviewgardendesign.co.uk
http://www.sgd.org.uk

• Posted: Wed. 8th April 2009 18:29

Hm Kettle or flame thrower!

Reply from Fi

No contest! I wonder what my 80 yr old neighbours will think of me using a flame torch, knowing them they'll want to try it too! Beats the kettle - although rather more accessible probably. I always wonder at the likes of James Martin with their flame torches for innocent looking creme brulees too.
Thanks Mark, I'll look into it but not sure with teenagers around.
Fi

• Posted: Sat. 11th April 2009 22:49