In progress indicator

Weed or not?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Jan Jones

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

This little plant has sprung up in a couple of places between the flags on our patio. It has quite attractive variegated leaves around 2cm long, tiny pink flowers (the whole flower head is less than 1cm across, and each individual floret about 1mm wide) and a ground-hugging, spreading habit. The stems are slightly hairy, and look quite brittle. I've no idea where it's come from, it doesn't seem to be present anywhere else in the garden. Any ideas?

Weed or not?Weed or not?Weed or not?

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 431
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Mon. 26th August 2013 17:23

Re: Weed or not?

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

Looks like a persicaria capitata this looks like a grd. cover.

• Posted: Mon. 26th August 2013 18:16

Re: Re: Weed or not?

Reply from Jan Jones

Spot on, many thanks Elaine! Must admit had a bit of a panic moment reading the Wikipedia entry which gives Japanese Knotweed as one of its common names! But it's quite obviously not the NASTY Japanese Knotweed :)
I'm struggling to find much info on it - if it's worth growing I'll try lifting it and either potting up or planting elsewhere, as it can't stay where it is, but not if it's something that's going to take over my garden. On the one hand it's available for sale as a herbaceous perennial from a UK supplier, on the other it's listed as a weed in New Zealand! Do you have any idea how invasive it is?

• Posted: Mon. 26th August 2013 19:38

Re: Weed or not?

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

Give any plant what it likes and it becomes a weed, except for the sterile plants. Depends on what you use it for, if you would like it to carpet the ground then it is a great plant, I use a lot of plants like phlox divaricata as an early bloomer that allows taller plants to come through and will take the shade, as weed suppressors and they give me dual season of interest in the same area.

• Posted: Mon. 26th August 2013 21:43