In progress indicator

How to handle a highly toxic plant?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from JOANNE KELLY

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have been reading up on euphorbia plants as I have found 4 in my garden and now I am terrified of handling them! I didn't actually know it was a euphorbia until I went in search of the Identity of the plant and came across this site:
http://www.theamateursdigest.com/epoisons.htm

I only read all this horrifying information on the plant AFTER I had cut off the seed heads and started collecting the seeds! Just how dangerous is this variety please, as I have to move 3 of them from their positions and how can you take basal cuttings from it without getting burnt from the sap?

• Views: 498
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Wed. 4th September 2013 12:51

Re: How to handle a highly toxic plant?

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

Wear gloves and safety glasses, I nearly died from anaphylaxis and someone had to be rushed to the hospital because the sap got in his eyes and it can blind you. The variety that has the most sap is E charcias. I wore gloves, but itched my face and just that little contact sent me to the hospital, needless to say I do not have any euphorbias. Not everyone has this reaction, but I did not know that I was allergic to it.

• Posted: Wed. 4th September 2013 13:47

Reply from JOANNE KELLY

Thank you for that information...I simply cannot remember buying these plants as euphorbias...could you please confirm that what I am assuming is a euphorbia actually is? These are the pics of it!
Thank you :)

Re: How to handle a highly toxic plant?Re: How to handle a highly toxic plant?Re: How to handle a highly toxic plant?

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Wed. 4th September 2013 17:08

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

Looks like an erysimum or wall flower.

• Posted: Wed. 4th September 2013 18:48

Re: Re: How to handle a highly toxic plant?

Reply from JOANNE KELLY

Thank you sooo much Elaine for helping me identify the plants I was going to get rid of phew! Yes it seems that they are can keep them afterall! :)

• Posted: Wed. 4th September 2013 19:15