In progress indicator

Mange Tout 'Shoots'

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Fi

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi all, so excited that my mange tout have started shooting in the last couple of days, plus one sweet pea! No sign yet of runner beans or peas, tomatoes or peppers - hope these just take longer. They're all on the kitchen window sill.
Baited breath now hoping they don't 'damp off' always being warned about in Gardeners World mag!
How are yours doing?
Fi

• Views: 1300
  • Replies: 7
  • Posted: Fri. 3rd April 2009 11:13

Seeds germinating

Reply from Georgie

Hi Fi

I love it when my first seeds germinate. My Chillies and Physallis (sown on 15 Feb and 8 Mar respectively) have already been pricked out into individual pots. Last Saturday I sowed my next indoor batch - 9 ornamentals and 4 edibles - and of these two types of Tomato, French Lavender and Centratherum are already up. Outside the Peas under a cloche are doing well, the potatoes (Swift) are 'cracking the compost' and in the greenhouse the Radish 'edible leaf' are just beginning to show. Oh and I had my first batch of Greek Cress in my cheese roll yesterday :D Exciting times indeed!

Georgie

• Posted: Fri. 3rd April 2009 18:09

I'm running behind ...

Reply from Fi

Wow, you've been working hard - you seem to be knowledgeable, have you studied horticulture?
Sounds great, I think you must use more warmth than me, mine tend to have to fight for themselves! - is the Greek Cress the watercress you were talking about? If not, how do you grow this. Remember childhood growing it on wet paper towels!

• Posted: Fri. 3rd April 2009 23:18

It's only just April!

Reply from Georgie

Hi Fi

Don't panic! I always used to sow my seeds far too early for the condiions I have (just a sunny windowsill and no propogator like yourself) and apart from Chillies and Physallis, I'd never sow anything else before late March or April now - it's just not worth it.

No, I haven't studied horticulture officially but I read gardening magazines, have lots of books and have been participating in garden forums like this one for a few years now. I also visit gardens to get ideas and despite my addled brain I guess some of it must go in! LOL

Now Greek Cress is wonderful stuff. I got mine from Plants of Distinction. It's similar to the cress you metion you grew as a child but it has more advantages. Yes, you can grow it on damp tissue or cotton wool and it will be ready to eat in 8-10 days or you can sow it in potting compost. But if you prick out a few seedlings into individual pots they grow into plants about 30cm tall that look like mini Eucalyptus trees. Then they flower and set seed so you need never buy another packet again. How's that for value? :D

Georgie

• Posted: Sat. 4th April 2009 19:55

I was panicking!

Reply from Fi

Hiya Georgie, thanks for that - you know I was beginning to panic on Friday as I looked at Gardeners World and Carol's Grow Your own Veg - everything seemed to supposed to have been seeded and shooting! Trouble is, their idea of late spring is difficult to interpret.
I cheated a little on Sat and bought some seedlings from B&Q! Iceberg (my daughter likes them, I prefer italian mix I'm sowing), and calabrese (read on Fri that these can go in now, so cut corners).
My beans have started pushing through, and transferring my seed trays to the plastic greenhouse for the last couple of days has brought up tiny specks of green! Hope it stays warm enough in there at night though - golly it's all worry isn't it.
My brain's like a sieve, to add to your addling.
Best
Fi

• Posted: Sun. 5th April 2009 20:43

Don't panic!

Reply from Georgie

Hi Fi

One of the best pieces of gardening advice I've ever heard is that plants want to grow so let them get on with it! Obviously they need the basics - water, light and nutrients - but in my experience molly-coddled plants ne'er do well. So stop worrying and sit back and enjoy your garden. If you can remember where it is! :D

Georgie

• Posted: Tue. 7th April 2009 20:17

Had a little break ...

Reply from Fi

Hi Georgie
I've had a lovely little break in North Norfolk for a few days, and have come back to the tallest runner bean and sweet pea seedlings ever! Left them on the draining board on wet newspaper and they've truly romped. It was beautiful in Norfolk, cottage with a mill stream and lots of wild flowers and birds, especially goldfinches. Also Avocets, Egyptian geese etc on the saltmarshes - now where was that veg plot?
F x

• Posted: Sat. 11th April 2009 22:53

Welcome back

Reply from Georgie

Hi Fi

Glad you had a lovely break. That cottage sounds idyllic - are you going to post some photos for us to coo over?

Happy gardening

Georgie

• Posted: Sun. 12th April 2009 10:42