OK
In progress indicator

Small fast growing tree? Possibly an Acer or Cherry?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Liz Duffell

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Can anyone think of a small reasonably fast growing tree to fill the space in the picture where the rose is (middle window)? I'm hoping to have something more attractive to look at when I gaze out the window. I have looked at Japanese Maples and cherries, both of which I love, does anyone have either of these that they think would work? Its full sun and sheltered, I'd preferably like to have the neighbours mostly blocked out in around 5 years.

Small fast growing tree? Possibly an Acer or Cherry?

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 964
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Wed. 18th September 2013 07:58

Re: Small fast growing tree? Possibly an Acer or Cherry?

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

If you want all year privacy, you might need a conifer or a large broad leaved shrub, I hope you are thinking of putting the tree away from the house by a good 15-20 feet, it will give you the privacy you need without it fighting with the house. Acer palmatum is a slow growing tree and they require a bit of shade, cherries are faster, but their root systems are horrible, they both grow 20 feet wide unless you go with some of the variegated varieties which will burn. You should specify how many feet tall and how wide. Koeluteria paniculata is fast growing, but it is 25-30 feet high and 12-14 feet wide. A nice broad leaved evergreen is arbutus unedo compacta, it has strawberry like fruits and white flowers a nice tan peeling bark, but it does like acidic soil.

• Posted: Wed. 18th September 2013 14:13

Re: Re: Small fast growing tree? Possibly an Acer or Cherry?

Reply from Liz Duffell

It's going about 10ft away from the house, would a small tree (2-3m tall) be a problem for roots? Will obviously have to re-think if it is. Sorry can I ask, why are cherry roots horrible? It's going in the middle of a paved area so it wouldn't be fighting with any other plants. I really am looking for something little 2-3m tall and similar wide, one of the neighbors has lovely cherry about this size, may have to knock on the door and ask what it is, but I'm not sure if it's this size because it's still growing and will end up 20m tall!

I've never heard of arbutus unedo compacta, but just looked it up on here and it looks good thanks for the suggestion! When you say strawberry like fruits do you mean in look or taste?

• Posted: Thu. 19th September 2013 11:49

Re: Re: Re: Small fast growing tree? Possibly an Acer or Cherry?

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

The fruits look it, they are edible but don't taste good. A good Japanese maple tree is Acer palmatum butterly, it is small. Cherry trees have surface roots that can damage pavements and they are hard to underplant.

• Posted: Thu. 19th September 2013 20:54

ACER in CONTAINER, or ground?

Reply from Jennifer Napier

We bought an acer dissectum orangeola at the weekend in westonbirt arboretum. The lady there was highly sceptical that it would grow planted in our alkaline London clay and suggested we plant it in its submerged pot, to remove and enlarge the pot every 2-3 years. She said that even if we tried to surround it with acid/ neutral soil, there would be leaching and this would be ineffective. However, neighbours HAVE planted their now thriving acer directly into the soil. What would you recommend?

• Posted: Tue. 22nd October 2013 21:05