In progress indicator

Unknown shrubs

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Jack Thompson

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi there. As per last post, last 2 photos. I hope someone can help! Thanks, Jack.

Unknown shrubsUnknown shrubs

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 413
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Sun. 22nd September 2013 19:57

Re: Unknown shrubs

Reply from Benjamin Brace

1st is Forsythia sp. - you may be able to narrow it further down if you post a pic of the flowers
2nd is a Viburnum; which is more than likely to be Viburnum x bodnantense 'Dawn'

• Posted: Mon. 23rd September 2013 16:18

Re: Re: Unknown shrubs

Reply from Jack Thompson

Excellent, thanks Benjamin, and thanks for replying to my other post too. I was mainly enquiring so that I can research some pruning advice, as they are all in need of some TLC - what you've provided should be enough to go on for that. Much appreciated.

• Posted: Tue. 24th September 2013 12:51

Re: Unknown shrubs

Reply from Ben's Botanics

The first looks more like Prunus lusitanica. The second almost certainly a Viburnum x bodnantense, most likely 'Dawn'

• Posted: Sun. 27th October 2013 15:26

Re: Re: Unknown shrubs

Reply from Benjamin Brace

There are a number of differences between Prunus lusitanica and the one in the picture; notice the petiole of Prunus lus. it is definitively reddish purple in colour and much more solid than the one in the picture (also Prunus lus. leaves are a lot more glossy). Another ID feature that I noticed, the stem that has been pruned in the picture is square in profile with a white pith - classic Forsythia!

• Posted: Tue. 29th October 2013 13:11

Re: Re: Re: Unknown shrubs

Reply from Ben's Botanics

Not to mention the leaves being in opposite pairs, as is typical in the Oleaceae. My mistake.

• Posted: Tue. 29th October 2013 19:17