In progress indicator

Slug damage to Escallonia rubra var macrantha

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Eileen mcalonan

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi there
I'm very new to gardening and last year planted a macrantha plant from a pot which I bought in a garden centre. Since then slugs or snails have eaten all leaves off it. Is there any chance of a recovery from this?
I'd very much appreciate some advice. Thanks
Eileen

• Views: 743
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Thu. 26th September 2013 07:21

Re: Slug damage to Escallonia rubra var macrantha

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

first thing would be to get rid of the slugs any method, beer baiting or any other type. You can't fertilize now, can you cut back the shrub? so the roots don't have to support such a heavy top, then fertilize in spring. wait to cut till it gets really cold, so it does not make any tender growth.

• Posted: Thu. 26th September 2013 13:09

Re: Re: Slug damage to Escallonia rubra var macrantha

Reply from Eileen mcalonan

Hi Elaine
Thanks for your message. I did try to fight the slugs with slug pellets but think I'll try another method instead or as well to keep them at bay! I have heard that concentrated garlic spray is good or the beer baiting that you mention.
I have since had another look at the shrub but my step son was helping out with some gardening one evening last week and think he must have trod on it in the fading light! There's very little of the plant above ground - I can just about see the remains of a stalk! Will it recover from that do you know?! :-)
Thanks
Eileen

• Posted: Sun. 29th September 2013 19:46