In progress indicator

10 reasons why a career in garden maintenace is a great choice

In progress indicator
Full size image

General post from Simon Cooper

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I maintain large gardens of half an acre and upwards. This means each garden takes at least half a day, and most take a full day at a time. Some are visited once a week, some once a month. Most are all year around. The ten reasons below are for maintenance in all gardens that require more than just a mow & strim, but they apply best of all to total maintenance of larger gardens.

1. Connection to Nature - Where could be a better workplace than the garden?
2. Satisfaction - Maintaining a garden over the course of a year, and even a decade, creates a deep sense of satisfaction.
3. Creativity - Choosing plants, solving landscape problems, choosing the right tool for the job, developing a graden with a wildflower meadow, all everyday skills to develop.
4. Working for Yourself - No boss, and your own timetable. One for the control freaks like me! No one to sack you either, which leads to...
5. Job Security - Though the beginning can be tricky, and winter starts to drag around February, when you build a good name and loyal clients you will never be short of work.
6. Loyal Clients - Working in someone's garden on a long-term basis builds a long-term relationship built on mutual trust and respect. The first garden I ever worked in professionally, I still work in, over 13 years later.
7. Tools - I admit it, I love tools, and I buy the best. If the words strimmer, chainsaw and ride-on mower don't bring a nod of approval, this job probably isn't for you!
8. The Physical - Maintenance gardening is tough work, you will feel your muscles and the endorphins that go with outdoor work. Dig over that plot and enjoy the burn.
9. The Learning - You will always be learning as a gardener and growing of course, in all senses of the word. Plus, you will know some Latin, isn't that great?
10. Variety - Every day a different garden, every day a different job to do, every season with its own set of challenges. You won't get bored

• Views: 690
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Tue. 8th October 2013 19:27

Re: 10 reasons why a career in garden maintenace is a great choice

Reply from Jay

Working outdoors with the fresh air and being closer to nature is good for your health and mind.
Winter is a real bummer though so you have to make as the sun shines as they say.

It can be a very rewarding career but also hard work at times.

John

• Posted: Thu. 30th April 2020 11:39