In progress indicator

Root trainers

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Laura Thomas

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Has anyone used proprietary root training systems or even the bog-standard loo roll version?!

I have sweet peas and runner beans which I am preparing to plant into cardboard tubes as my first trial.

In the past, I just planted seeds as normal and have not had problems but the current trend seems to be root trainers for peas and beans.

I would appreciate some feedback on various systems that others have used.

many thanks

Laura

• Views: 721
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Sun. 5th April 2009 12:03

Root trainers

Reply from Georgie

Hi Laura, me again! LOL

I've tried both loo rolls and root trainers for Sweet Peas and to be frank I was not impressed. The problem I had was that they seemed to get 'leggy' quickly and there was no way to 'earth them up' so to speak. These days I either plant a few seeds to a 9cm pot and plant the whole lot out where I want them to grow or sow direct. And Beans I always sow direct towards the middle/end April - I see no point in starting them off in modules. Just my opnion of course.

Georgie

• Posted: Sun. 5th April 2009 16:16

Loo rolls

Reply from Laura Thomas

Hi Georgie

thanks for the info - I suspected that root training was another gardening 'fad' but I have given it a go as part of my recycling commitment LOL.

Have both sweet peas (blushing bride) and runner beans (out of date scarlet emperor) in their loo rolls. If they do not germinate well or go too leggy that still leaves me time to pot more seeds up or plant them directly later on this month.

One final point - loo rolls are very fiddly to fill with potting compost and there are obviously easier ways to grow seeds.

Laura

• Posted: Mon. 6th April 2009 12:50

Loo rolls

Reply from Georgie

A good way to fill loo rolls with compost (if you are so inclined) is to use on old 1 litre plastic milk bottle. Wash it out thoroughly and dry well. Cut off the bottom, part fill with compost, unscrew the cap and hey presto - a useful funnel. :D

Georgie

• Posted: Tue. 7th April 2009 20:07

Funnels

Reply from Laura Thomas

thanks Georgie - I use the plastic bottle 'gismo' as a watering funnel in situ for containers and hanging baskets but had not thought of using it in this way.

Laura

• Posted: Thu. 9th April 2009 10:49