In progress indicator

should I cut back my clematis?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Naz Goddard

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have heard that you should cut back a clematis at the base in the autumn. This will create a stronger and more prolific growth next year. I usually do nothing.

What is the best advice please?

• Views: 3776
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Fri. 15th November 2013 08:00

Re: should I cut back my clematis?

Reply from C

When you cut a clematis back depends on what group it is. 1, 2 or 3. If you know the name of it you can google it to see which group it is in. Most clematis are cut back in late winter or spring. The very early flowering ones are pruned after flowering. How far back you cut your clematis also depends on which group it is in.

• Posted: Fri. 15th November 2013 09:49

Reply from Nicola

Hi Naz, Carolyn is correct. There are 3 pruning groups for clematis.

Do you know the name of your clematis? If yes add it to your plants I have list in Shoot and we will send you how-to guides and a reminder at the right time of year. We take the guess work away from you.

Kind regards,
Nicola

• Posted: Sat. 16th November 2013 09:15

Reply from Alexia at Blooming Marvellous Plants

If you don't know what variety is is, try following this guide:

*if it flowers in april and may, it will be group 1 or 2 and need little pruning. Prune just after flowering.

* if it flowers june and july and has large open flowers, its probably group 3 and is best cut down to about 30cm from the base in march or april. The new growths will flower in summer.

* if it flowers in June and July but has bell shaped flowers, it's uncertain which group it is. Have you noticed whether it flowers only on last year's old stems (group 1 or 2) or on fresh new stems as well (group 3)?

• Posted: Mon. 18th November 2013 21:44