In progress indicator

training sweet peas (lathyrus odoratus)

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Barbara Sellery

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Is there any reason why I cannot train my cordon grown sweet peas diagonally across netting against a fence? I am trying to avoid the necessity for layering later as the area is rather restricted for space. Growing diagonally would provide more length but I have not seen it mentioned anywhere by experts.

• Views: 1130
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Tue. 21st January 2014 10:15

Re: training sweet peas (lathyrus odoratus)

Reply from Philip Johnson

I am not sure you would gain much with this method, perhaps another foot of growth? However, I can see no reason why you should not try this. If you are really tight for space you could try layering the left hand half to the right and the right hand half to the left, crossing them over. Please ask if I can help further.

• Posted: Wed. 22nd January 2014 13:25

Re: Re: training sweet peas (lathyrus odoratus)

Reply from Nicola

Thanks Philip:)

Barbara, Philip didn't mention this because he may be too modest! He is a Nurseryman (Sweet Peas & Alpines), professional gardener, and chairman of RHS Sweet Pea trials!!

He also sells sweet peas in his Johnson's Sweet Peas shop in our Marketplace. So he knows what he is talking about:)

Hope that helps
Nicola

• Posted: Wed. 22nd January 2014 14:18

Reply from Barbara Sellery

Thanks a lot for your help Philip; I'll probably try what you suggested. Thanks also to Nicola. It's good to know that there are experts on hand.

• Posted: Thu. 23rd January 2014 10:19

Reply from zhiqing li

many thanks, barbara for suggesting kolwitzia amabalis (beauty bush) for my garden. Yes, this is the shrub I want and I want several more deciduous shrubs and a deciduous tree which does not cast too much shade but come to leaf early. I am so grateful for your suggestion. Very graceful shrub with autumn interest. Are you a professional gardener?
My garden is north-south facing so all the wall and fences are east facing and the garden is constantly battered by south west prevailing wind. It is a nightmare garden.

• Posted: Mon. 31st March 2014 22:00

Re: Re: training sweet peas (lathyrus odoratus)

Reply from Barbara Sellery

No, just a 63 year old keen gardener who has learnt by experience. I am so glad you agree that the Beauty Bush is a good shrub.
Hope you get many years of pleasure from it as I have.
Kind regards

• Posted: Wed. 2nd April 2014 12:13