OK
In progress indicator

Anyone have any idea what this plant is?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from dissentinglemming

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have searched to the edge of sanity to try and figure out what this plant is. I found it in Central Florida, USA in the beginning "winter". The mother plant that I took the cutting from was standing about 8-9 ft (2.5m) tall -- one single stem-- in front of an apartment complex that had mostly dead Crotons and gravel. So this thing was deliberately planted a while ago, probably by some transient, then left to fend for itself.

It has pleasantly fuzzy leaves, gentler than those of comfrey or sage, but less fluffy than lambs ears. Both the leaves and stem, when blemished or broken, smell pretty dank, very much like (don't judge me) marijuana. The flavor is very bitter -- would probably make a great astringent.

It flowers purple in the same way that Basil or Sage would.

I've planted them in full sun and full shade and they do well everywhere. The cuttings are incredibly easy to propagate. As a matter of fact, in the process of training them to grow only to 4 or 5 feet, the cuttings I left to rot grew into new plants. They also bush out when cut back to 5 feet or less.

It was exposed to frost several times this winter, and there was no die-back. So they're at least zone 8 hearty.

Anybody have a clue what this may be?

Anyone have any idea what this plant is?Anyone have any idea what this plant is?Anyone have any idea what this plant is?

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 447
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Mon. 24th February 2014 13:26

Re: Anyone have any idea what this plant is?

Reply from Carol

Are you sure it isn't some kind of sage? It looks very sage-y. Have you got any closer up leaf or flower pictures?

• Posted: Tue. 11th March 2014 17:24