In progress indicator

Help

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Louise Harrison

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi everyone, I am very new to gardening and I am hoping you can help me. I found this in amongst my lupins and I before I destroy it, I would like to know what it is, and if it is a friend or foe.

thanks in advance and happy gardening

HelpHelp

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 417
  • Replies: 8
  • Posted: Sat. 15th March 2014 14:55

Re: Help

Reply from Carol

It's hard to tell without the leaves open, but it could be a kind of Cornus (dogwood).

• Posted: Sat. 15th March 2014 15:13

Reply from Louise Harrison

Thank you for your speedy reply. Will try and get another picture when the leaves are open. It appeared last year and kept its colour all winter.

• Posted: Sat. 15th March 2014 15:22

Re: Re: Help

Reply from Carol

Sounds even more like Cornus. They have coloured stems that are really attractive through the winter. The theory is that if you cut them to above the lowest couple of buds as the first buds open they will bush out - and then you leave the bare stems for winter colour.

• Posted: Sat. 15th March 2014 16:54

Reply from Alexia at Blooming Marvellous Plants

I think it's some kind of willow...probably goat willow which grows from seeds that arrive as if from nowhere. Its a common weed in plant nurseries that overwater. You need to pull it out, root and all,

• Posted: Sun. 30th March 2014 18:50

Reply from Alexia at Blooming Marvellous Plants

I think it's some kind of willow...probably goat willow which grows from seeds that arrive as if from nowhere. Its a common weed in plant nurseries that overwater. You need to pull it out, root and all,

• Posted: Sun. 30th March 2014 18:50

Reply from Samantha Jane

Hello there,
Yes, quite right with a species of Willow as Cornus, Dogwood has buds in pairs.
Best wishes
Samantha Jane
sjgardendesign.com

• Posted: Sun. 30th March 2014 19:20

Reply from Louise Harrison

Hi All,

Thank you for your replies, I took it out and re potted this, until I knew what it was, as it is something I have not come across before. I put some seeds down last year....a wildflower mix, and I didn't know if it has come from a packet.

It sounds like it doesn't....so off it goes!

I have attached another, not so great image.

Happy gardening.

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Sun. 30th March 2014 21:43

Re: Re: Help

Reply from Carol

Those look like white flowers coming from the buds - so not cornus or goat willow! Keep it a bit in its pot and see if it turns out interesting.

• Posted: Mon. 31st March 2014 07:24