In progress indicator

Bird Tables

In progress indicator
Full size image

General post from Toby Arnold

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Does anyone have any advice on where to site a bird table or what food best to attract birds to one? I always assumed my cat was repsonsible for the lack of birds, but the cat is long gone and still no birds. The last seed I saw eaten was by pigeons when I sowed the lawn in september!

• Views: 1138
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Sun. 13th January 2008 21:35

Where to put bird tables

Reply from Cris

Hiya! I have my bird table in my back garden so I can see it from my kitchen table. It is about 2 metres away from my fence (to prevent cat sabotage) but still in the corner of the garden. I notice that the birds perch in my tall shrub and servey the garden first - then fly to the table.
I have been putting bread crumbs and sun flower seeds on it, and I have another feeder near by with peanuts in it. I have been getting coal tits, robins, woodpigeons, black birds and great tits. Good luck!

• Posted: Mon. 14th January 2008 17:43

Bird Tables

Reply from Marissa Zoppellini

I would put the table where I can see the action from the house, in an open space but not too far from the safety of a hedge or shrub. Suitable foods range from cheese, currants, moistened bread and unsalted nuts to uncooked pastry! But do not put out dessicated coconut or very dry bread. Also consider what plants you have and the general environment in your garden, they will be attracted to somewhere with safe places to perch, eg shrubs or trees and a variety of plants. The RSPB have a great website: www.org.uk, well worth a look. Good luck!

• Posted: Tue. 15th January 2008 17:57

Bird Tables

Reply from Marissa Zoppellini

Sorry typo on the website address: www.rspb.org.uk

• Posted: Tue. 15th January 2008 17:58

Bird Tables

Reply from David Sewell

Hi Toby,
I would site the bird feeding station well away from any shrubs or places where cats can sneak up on it. Birds are much happier when they can see what's going on a round them.

I no longer use a bird table but instead have a number of feeders. I feed niger seed (you need a special feeder for these because the holes are so tiny) which attract Goldfinches, Siskins and occasionally Redpoll. Black sunflower seeds attract tits, goldfinches and house sparrows but mainly Greenfinches. Peanuts for nuthatches and woodpeckers and tits.Then I use a mixed seed for everything else.
I do have the luxury of being able to throw a couple of cups of mixed seed on the drive each morning and this also attracts Pheasants, Rooks, Jackdaws, Blackbirds, Chaffinches (which seem to prefer seed on the ground than in the feeders) pigeons, Collared dove.
I don't feed soft food forn thrushes, wrens, robins etc but I should!
What I've found is 'mix it up' a bit - try different types of food and see what happens!
All best David
www.the-gardenmakers.co.uk

• Posted: Mon. 23rd March 2009 14:28