In progress indicator

Balancing hard and soft landcaping

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from rob mcghie

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

PLanning for the future I need some suggestions of low maintenance, and year round colour,planting and at the same time softening the nasty hard landscaping I have enherited from a previous diyer -Small buff stone retaining walls and ghastly grey slabs dominating what could otherwise be a pleasant little garden for the odd BBQ and so on. The plants worth retaining are the magnolia tree some standard roses lavender and box and another favourite of mine oteospermum although it is probably a bit too high maintenance to keep in check.Soil is loamy well draining.aspect is easterly ie rear of house faces roughly east.House end is all white pebbledash and rear has a row of bamboo against neighbours garage brick wall. I was thinking about rendering and or painting over the 70's look walls and getting a more contempory feel yet retaining also its attraction for wildbirds which are close to my heart. Thank you team!

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 861
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Tue. 7th April 2009 23:37

make over

Reply from mark bullock

hi rob,
i think if it were my garden my first priority wd be
to try & find out if it was possible to remove some
slabs near the edges of the area to open up some
possible planting pockets. they will definitely need alot of soil improvement if u can & planting something like fatsia & phyllostachys nigra (black bamboo) to give an instant exotic feel. the remaining naff slabs could be easily covered with crushed plum slate which is attractive all year round & far better to walk on than gravel. pots & trellises should do the rest.
i hope this helps!

• Posted: Wed. 8th April 2009 07:58

contemporary look

Reply from Brian Anderson

For a really contemporary look it might be worth looking at pebblecubes - gabion-style potholders and planters, which come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, can be supplied pre-filled with slate or pebbles or empty for your own filling, from pebblecubes.co.uk. Just pop your ugly plastic pot into the recess for an instant, attractive and wind-proof display.
Brian

contemporary look

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Wed. 8th April 2009 10:04

Reply from David Sewell

Hi Rob,
This is actually quite difficult to answer without some more detail and preferably a couple more shots of the garden that I could enlarge and have a proper look at. If you could pm me with these (use the email address in the website link below) I'll endeavour to answer properly (but still through the forum)

You don't mention if you've any plans for the hard landscaping - new paving or removing dwarf walls? Or are you simply wanting to screen and disguise existing features?

Do let me know and be as helpful as I can - I just need those photos!

All best for now,
David

David Sewell NCH, NDH
http://www.the-gardenmakers.co.uk
http://www.landscaper.org.uk

• Posted: Wed. 8th April 2009 19:18

Photos

Reply from Nicola

Hi Rob and David,

You can always post more photos here too - we would love to see them! At the moment you have to post each one into a post - we will look at allowing multiple photos at some point in the future as this keeps coming up as a request :-)
Nicola

• Posted: Wed. 8th April 2009 19:24

Landscaping

Reply from David Sewell

Hey Nicola,
It's not the photos as much as having photos that I can derive some detail from. That's why I want Rob to send me something I can work with and then return to the forum with the answers...
That's the plan anyway!!
David

David Sewell NCH, NDH
http://www.the-gardenmakers.co.uk
http://www.landscaper.org.uk

• Posted: Wed. 8th April 2009 20:25