OK
In progress indicator

Hi, I have an Ellwoodi in a large pot which has been fine over the last two winters. I have noticed the inner leaves are turning brown, though the outer leaves remain dark green and on scratching the stem, I find it's still green. The

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from chrissie ford

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi, can anyone help please?

I have an Ellwoodi in a large pot which has been fine over the last two winters. I have noticed the inner leaves are turning brown, though the outer leaves remain dark green and on scratching the stem, I see it is still green.

I haven't watered it much throughout the winter and have watered a couple of times since beginning of spring. How can I prevent the inner leaves turning brown?

Thanks

• Views: 661
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Mon. 21st April 2014 17:37

Re: Hi, I have an Ellwoodi in a large pot which has been fine over the last two winters. I have noticed the inner leaves are turning brown, though the outer leaves remain dark green and on scratching the stem, I find it's still green. The

Reply from Clockhouse Nursery

I wouldnt worry about it too much. Ellwoodii cultivars are naturally quite 'dense' in foliage terms. This means that there isnt any light reaching the inner part of the bush, so foliage ceases to be produced. This is quite normal and subsequently, this is why they do not prune very well. If you cut back too far into the 'bare wood', they find it very hard to recover. Those facts aside, Its possible that your plant is becoming pot bound or too wet. Make sure your pot is freely drained, in a sunny spot and that the roots are not so dense that you cant get a trowel into the surface. If the roots are very tight, your plant may need to go in the ground or into a larger container.

• Posted: Tue. 22nd April 2014 07:52

Re: Re: Hi, I have an Ellwoodi in a large pot which has been fine over the last two winters. I have noticed the inner leaves are turning brown, though the outer leaves remain dark green and on scratching the stem, I find it's still green. The

Reply from chrissie ford

Hello, thanks for your help with this. I think you may be right about the container size, it has been in the pot for a couple of years now and the roots do seem tight.

I'm aiming to re-pot it following a trip to the garden centre today for a larger pot so hopefully that will help.

• Posted: Sun. 27th April 2014 09:21