In progress indicator

Can anyone help ID this for me?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Silentboo

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

For a while I thought it might be a hosta, but recently read about false lily-of-the-valley. The previous owner mainly planted hardy, easy to care-for, vigorous plants alongside climbing roses so the latter would tally, but after reading some comments about it being a bit pesty I've started to worry. I've dug up half of it, but left the other section, it had a tuber-type thing at its base.
Its never seemed that healthy and I its not flowered in the couple of years we've been here.

Can anyone help ID this for me?Can anyone help ID this for me?Can anyone help ID this for me?

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 535
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Mon. 28th April 2014 08:08

Re: Can anyone help ID this for me?

Reply from Bar Lawson

False Lilly of the Valley is 'rhizomatous', it produces white flowers and then berries. You mention that this plant has a 'tuber-type thing' at its base, my first thought was that the plant is Lesser Celandine or 'Pilewort', Ranunculus ficaria. Both are quite similar in size and appearance. Lesser Celandine is a rampant weed, producing bright shiny yellow buttercup like flowers, I have it in my garden and they don't always flower. They produce tubers or bulbils and are extremely invasive. I dig them up, taking care to get all the little bulbils.

• Posted: Mon. 28th April 2014 09:05

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

Could be a calla lily or zantedeschia, , it has arrow shaped leaves and they are not glossy, arum italicum has arrow shaped leaves but white marbled type foliage, google and see what your leaf resembles.

• Posted: Mon. 28th April 2014 13:02

Reply from Silentboo

Thanks for the replies.
I had been googling furiously (as it's how I've ID'd most things) but not hit upon anything which particularly seemed correct.
You could be on to something with the calla lilly- although the ones in google images are way more upright than the down trodden plant in my garden it looks pretty close. Maybe I'll give it more time or move it into a pot.
Its not in a boggy area. I did accidently cut through the tuber not knowing it was there. Have attached it to this post as could only attach 3 pictures to the opening one. Anyway, I'm thinking out loud now...off to get the spade, thanks again.

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Mon. 28th April 2014 14:35

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

It is not a maianthemum or false lily of the valley, it looks like a calla tuber, they don't have to be in a bog to grow, they seem to do well any place except dry shade, mine are just breaking ground, they will get taller in time.

• Posted: Mon. 28th April 2014 17:52

Reply from Silentboo

Apologies to drag such an old thread back up but I thought it was worth thanking you all again. Ever since it was ID'd I've been giving it a little extra water and this summer it's paid off...
Not sure why the photo's have posted the wrong way up mind.

Re: Can anyone help ID this for me?Re: Can anyone help ID this for me?

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Tue. 30th June 2015 19:30