In progress indicator

What is this please?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Jan Helle

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I didn't order this but received it with an order from Thompson and Morgan..... I just decided to keep it! It said tulip tree and that it wouldn't flower for at least 4 years. This is the 5th year and I had 2 wonderful flowers but I can't find out what it is. The flowers are lovely but so is the foliage with its deep red blush.

What is this please?

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 669
  • Replies: 8
  • Posted: Mon. 5th May 2014 18:34

Re: Tree peonyWhat is this please?

Reply from Lynn Carter

I think it is a tree peony... it has the same leaves as a common tree peony might be TMs =Guan She Mao Yu..

• Posted: Mon. 5th May 2014 19:18

Re: Re: Tree peonyWhat is this please?

Reply from Jan Helle

I think it is a tree peony but TMs =Guan She Mao Yu is much darker than mine. But thanks I needed convincing that it actually is a tree peony.

• Posted: Wed. 7th May 2014 19:35

Re: What is this please?

Reply from Jan Bird

I'd say it's a peony - not sure what variety.

• Posted: Mon. 5th May 2014 19:22

Re: Re: What is this please?

Reply from Jan Helle

I don't believe it's a peony because the one I have in my garden has not yet flowered although the buds are there. Whereas the plant I'm enquiring about flowered in March. But thank you for your help.

• Posted: Wed. 7th May 2014 19:38

Reply from Samantha Jane

Hi Jan,
I would like to confirm that it definitely is a "Tree Peony" and a very nice one it is. They have been very earlier this year particularly in warm sheltered areas, probably due to the mild wet winter and then fabulous sunny spells that we have had.
Tree peonies are also generally earlier to flower than herbaceous ones. Herbaceous peonies are just starting to come now.
As for the variety, there are lots of different and also very similar varieties of tree peony. Kelways.co.uk do sell a very similar one to yours called 'Cardinal Vaughan'
Best wishes,
Samantha Jane, MIHORT, KEWDIP
sjgardendesign.com

• Posted: Wed. 7th May 2014 20:53

Reply from Jan Helle

I've just checked out Cardinal Vaughan photos against my plant and I think you're spot on! Thank you so much.... I waited 5 years to find out what it was and it was certainly well worth the wait....

• Posted: Wed. 7th May 2014 23:21

Reply from mary anne

I have one in my garden too. It was a free gift if you spent so much with T&M. Think I had two originally but one didn't survive. Mine flowered last year but no flowers yet this year. I always thought it was a tree peony. Have tried to find the order in my e-mails without success.

• Posted: Sun. 11th May 2014 14:42

Reply from Jan Helle

I had 2 buds last year which just died as buds so when I saw 2 buds this year I gave it some manure and crossed my fingers and lo and behold 2 flowers.... I was thrilled to pieces!

• Posted: Mon. 12th May 2014 17:06