In progress indicator

Brown leaves on Hydrangea Annabelle

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Jo Butler

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

We are having problems growing the Hydrangea Annabelle. We planted the first 15 plants in the spring last year - suddenly the leaves started to go brown at the edges then all over and then the plant died. We are now on mark two plants which we put in in August/spetember - these went in well but were very tall thin plants when we got them - we thought they had not survived the winter but in March started to look better and we have lots of new shoots at the bottom and we were hopefull that they were ok. Then this week the brown leaves have begun to appear again and I am nervous that we are going to loose them, we have not pruned them atall as wanted to get them established. I would so appreciate any words of advice, I have attached two photos of how they look at the moment - thank you so much

• Views: 916
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Sat. 10th May 2014 12:49

Re: Brown leaves on Hydrangea Annabelle

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

Hydrangea Annabelle blooms on new growth, I cut mine down to 5 inches every year in Feb., after the first two or three years, it seems to adapt very well to not being watered depending on your soil, do you have sandy fast draining soil?, because browning of leaves usually indicate lack of water, yellow too much water.

• Posted: Sat. 10th May 2014 13:43

Re: Re: Brown leaves on Hydrangea Annabelle

Reply from Jo Butler

Thank you so much for the reply - do you think it is too late to cut away the old growth now? Our soil if free draining but we have had alot of rain recently so I don;t think it is lack of water.
Do you fertilise or feed them?

• Posted: Sat. 10th May 2014 18:48

Re: Re: Re: Brown leaves on Hydrangea Annabelle

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

Are they in too much sun? I can't think why they would be turning brown if there is enough water. I fertilize my garden middle of March, just once a year, unless you are doing annuals and roses. I would only trim out the really bad bits.

• Posted: Sat. 10th May 2014 19:24