In progress indicator

weed or not ?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Photo from Stewart

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi everyone, I'm new here and new to gardening hence this question! I've recently moved and have my first garden, I've scattered thousands of seeds, mostly wildflowers and traditional country garden flowers if that helps! This plant is popping up all over the place and is growing fast, it looks like it's going to be tall with quite a thick stem and large leaves, am I nurturing weeds? !!! Any help would be much appreciated, all the best, Stewart.

weed or not ?

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 425
  • Replies: 8
  • Posted: Sat. 10th May 2014 21:51

Re: weed or not ?

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

If you break the stem and see yellow sap it might be the woodland flower, I think you'll call greater celadine, it also resembles a something in the mustard family, maybe when you see it flower, we can identify the rascal.

• Posted: Sun. 11th May 2014 01:18

Yeah could be!

Reply from Stewart

Hello Elaine, thank you so much for your response, I think you could be right although having checked out images of said plant the leaves don't quite look the same, if anything they look more like the Celandine Poppy, which doesn't add up because this apparently is purely a US plant! As you said the little rascal needs to flower! Looks like it's going to any day soon! I'll keep you updated, once again thank you, all the best, Stewart.

• Posted: Mon. 12th May 2014 19:46

Mystery Solved !

Reply from Stewart

You were correct, it is indeed a Greater Celandine, I'm suitably impressed by your knowledge! I've uploaded a pic I took today, thank you and all the best, Stewart.

Mystery Solved !

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Sun. 18th May 2014 22:08

Reply from Nicola

Welcome to gardening and to Shoot Stewart:) I hope you are enjoying the site so far. Do you have any feedback for us? Kind regards, Nicola

• Posted: Sun. 11th May 2014 10:01

I love this website!

Reply from Stewart

Hello Nicola, thank you for making me feel so welcome and YES I'm enjoying the site so far, have yet to explore fully but as yet all good! The only feedback is don't change a thing! Just a passing thought but what are the benefits of upgrading? All the best, Stewart.

• Posted: Mon. 12th May 2014 19:58

Re: I love this website!

Reply from Nicola

So pleased:) The benefits of upgrading are you get:

- unlimited plant list
- unlimited gardens
- unlimited plant care advice
- full use of the garden planner tool

This may change over time but currently the above is what you get extra as a paid member. What are your thoughts? Thanks Nicola p.s. pls consider upgrading and supporting our growth at the same time.

• Posted: Mon. 12th May 2014 20:10

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

Lots of plants originate from the US, asters, phlox and eupatoriums, to name just a few.. I have the celadines referred to in many English books, not in a favourable way albeit.

• Posted: Mon. 12th May 2014 21:47

Oooerr!

Reply from Stewart

Been looking these little beasts up and it seems they're a tad toxic in many ways!

• Posted: Mon. 12th May 2014 22:08