In progress indicator

Help with identification please

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from jj2theb

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi all, i've had a small evergreen shrub growing in the garden and haven't a clue what it is. It was purchased in a b&q selection pack a couple of years ago and didn't have a label. It's leaves were green at first, then red, and now yellowy orange. It's never done especially well (only grown about 7-8cms) and when I moved it to a different part of the garden last year it had nearly no roots. Anyone have an idea what it is? Perhaps it's something which needs to be in ericaceous soil?

Help with identification please

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 419
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Sun. 25th May 2014 13:16

Re: Help with identification please

Reply from Carol

Is it a kind of spiraea? If so, it wouldn't want ericaceous, but my experience is they are usually more vigorous than this. Maybe it just needs a bit of food - PK boost will help root growth and flowers.

• Posted: Sun. 25th May 2014 20:25

Re: Re: Help with identification please

Reply from jj2theb

Hiya, thanks for that - I was thinking that it could have been spiraea japonica gold flame, but spiraea seem to have serrated leaf edges, and this thing doesn't :)

• Posted: Sun. 25th May 2014 21:26

Re: Help with identification please

Reply from Samantha Jane

Hi there,
It is a lovely Leucothoe, e.g. axillaris. It is ericaceous, so would love some ericaceous compost and to be either fed at the roots and/or foliar fed with a sequestrated iron base. They are generally slow growing until very happy and they can be quite frost tender.
Best wishes,
Samantha Jane
sjgardendesign.com

• Posted: Tue. 27th May 2014 06:18

Re: Re: Help with identification please

Reply from jj2theb

Excellent - thanks very much for that - I can now care for it properly! All the best, Joe :)

• Posted: Tue. 27th May 2014 07:03