In progress indicator

Best plant to go in front of rudbeckia

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Jamie DIxon

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi,

I've created a flower bed with rudbeckia goldstrum which looks great in summer.

I want to give it some colour from spring into summer but what is the best plant to try? As you can see from the photo I planted a yellow perennial but it's been swamped by the flourishing rudbeckia.

Am I best to increase the depth of the bed and plant something low growing at the front? If so any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jamie

Best plant to go in front of rudbeckia

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 450
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sun. 25th May 2014 14:47

Re: Best plant to go in front of rudbeckia

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

It is always nice to have at least a minimum of 4 feet to have some sort of show, only for hedges do you clear up 2 feet and that depends on the plant chosen for the hedge. Try and put some shrub roses in, something in the yellow to orange tones, that way they want clash with the rudbeckias, put some phlox divaricata, it will weave through the rose in early spring and go for some small bulbs that will give you early colour and be covered by the phlox also try some purple heucheras for contrast of colour.

• Posted: Sun. 25th May 2014 18:22

Re: Best plant to go in front of rudbeckia

Reply from Gill Greetham

Try some Lysimachia Firecracker, they also grow tall ( 2' with yellow flowers and have lovely brown/red leaves so make a great contract or you could try Saxifrage peter pan at ground level yellow and pink flowers or primula vialli which are amazing, drumstick primulas or oridnary primulas, hope all this helps ;-)

• Posted: Sat. 14th June 2014 14:35