In progress indicator

Bamboo runners

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Michael Flynn

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi, I have a 3 bamboos in my garden one I planted within concrete slabs as I knew it might be a runner. The other 2 Phyllostachys Nigra and another black bamboo I'm not sure the name of are both planted in the ground without restriction. I have recently seen endless gardening programmes highlighting the problem of bamboo being a runner that could take over your garden. They have been in place for a couple of years and there is no sign of them running as yet. My question is should I be worried and if I should be what is the best thing to do next to prevent it happening?
Thanks, Mike

• Views: 524
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sat. 28th June 2014 16:20

Re: Bamboo runners

Reply from Nicola

Hi Mike, a reply to from Twitter "phyllostachys are clump forming, new canes usually pop up closer to clump and do not run as much as say pseudosasa." Hope that helps:)

• Posted: Sun. 29th June 2014 07:16

Re: Re: Bamboo runners

Reply from Nicola

More feedback on Twitter

"all bamboo run at sometimes even nigra if treated not right, would always use root barrier"
"chop around the main clump, at circumference he is happy with, once or twice a yr, or use barrier material"
"I would just add the barrier in around them and feed with well rotted muck to encourage them to stay :)"
"feeding is so important with them and removing the old canes too"
"agreed again. New shoots go in search of new nutrients, treat them nice and they have less need to wander"

• Posted: Sun. 29th June 2014 08:05