In progress indicator

Failed! Tomato and Sweet Pepper seeds

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Fi

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

My tomato and sweet pepper seeds have failed to germinate - tried to keep them warm but nothing to show after 2 weeks.
Any tips would be appreciated - imagine they've rotted by now.
Sad Fi

• Views: 1188
  • Replies: 8
  • Posted: Sun. 12th April 2009 21:23

growing medium?

Reply from Laura Thomas

Hi Fi

I too did not have much success with tomato, pepper and aubergine seeds. They germinated on my sunny kitchin window but stopped at the second leaf stage. I was not totally surprised as I tried them in peatless compost which was a rather loose rough medium. Seeds like a bit of grit to help them lose their seed heads as well as fine soil for their roots to - hence seed compost.
What did you grow yours in and where were you keeping them warm?

It's not too late to try again - resowed mine last week in John Inness.

best of luck

Laura

• Posted: Mon. 13th April 2009 10:36

Think you've got it

Reply from Fi

Hi Laura
Multi purpose, peat free - a new venture for me trying to be eco friendly. John Innes has peat doesn't it - must need the lightness of texture.
A friend told me to put the seeds in a plastic tub in the airing cupboard for a week, then sow - I'm trying that now.
I had the seeds in trays on my kitchen window sill, but probably not warm enough this year (got away with it last year - milder?).
I'll try again next weekend, otherwise it's off to the garden centre for half a dozen moneymakers etc!
Thaks for your help.
Fi x

• Posted: Mon. 13th April 2009 22:37

Tomato trouble

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Fi,
I would guess that there are three reasons why the seeds didn't germinate - not warm enough (which you suspected already), too much water or a bad seed source (probably not that one in your case, though). Without a heat pad of some sort, it is difficult to get warmth to those little guys. I have heard of someone who puts plastic sandwich bags over his pots (secured with elastic or rubber bands) and puts them on the water heater to germinate - he claims success every time! The sandwich bags might work until the seedlings emerge because it retains the moisture you added when you first planted thus avoiding overwatering. I am curious to see what happens after you plant the seeds you kept in the cupboard.
Best of luck and please let me know how you get on.
Kathy C

• Posted: Tue. 14th April 2009 21:06

one month later ...

Reply from Fi

Well, would you believe it! I plonked the reseeded trays in the plastic greenhouse, on top of each other and have just discovered the top tray has germinated a few, and the bottom tray has germinated lots of white leggy seedlings! Ah well, live and learn. lol
Fi

• Posted: Thu. 28th May 2009 19:22

Travelled seeds!

Reply from Fi

Hi all
Well, my seedtrays have been on my kitchen, dining room (both north), living room (south), and plastic greenhouse (south outside), and now against the timber of a south facing raised bed!
Are they worth it! Probably now economically, but what a learning curve! I now have 2 basil seedlings, 1 green pepper, 1 chili, and 2 tomato seedlings out of a potential 30+? So bought some Plum tomato seedlings from a local nursery and planted them in a growbag in my plastic greenhouse - leaves looking a little pale, think I may be resorting to Sainsbury's Taste the Difference with Jamie!
Fi

• Posted: Fri. 24th April 2009 21:38

Seeds

Reply from Joanne 9919

Hi Fi,

Are you covering the seed trays? I always cover mine with a propagator lid. If you don't have one try putting the seed tray inside a clear plastic bag. This helps to keep the moisture in so that the compost doesn't dry out and also gives them a little extra warmth. Once you've watered the seeds in you won't have to water them again until they've germinated if you use this method. Overwatering might be another reason why they haven't germinated.

Also, keep it in the sunniest spot you've got. You should have had better germination than you've got.

Jo.

• Posted: Sat. 25th April 2009 09:08

Shrivelled!

Reply from Fi

Hi Jo
Guess what - newly shooted seedlings, put them in plastic bags in the mini greenhouse two days ago - checked them this morning and all shrivelled, dead! Back to the nursery I think, or maybe stick to potatoes, sigh.
Fi

• Posted: Sat. 25th April 2009 23:38

Oh no!

Reply from Joanne 9919

Once they have germinated you need to take them out of the plastic bag.

Have another go.

Jo.

• Posted: Sun. 26th April 2009 07:59