In progress indicator

Dead Heading a lilium Golden Jubilee

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Paul Austin

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Lilium 'Golden Jubilee' anyone know how to dead head this? I'm not sure if it's just below the bloom or the entire stop stem which needs removing (about an inch to two inches long)? And do i remove these brown what appear to be buds? I'm not sure if these are new growth? See pic attached. Thanks

Dead Heading a lilium Golden Jubilee

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 466
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Tue. 29th July 2014 09:25

Re: Dead Heading a lilium Golden Jubilee

Reply from Carol

I'm not 100% sure, but the green 'pods' you have look like seedheads to me (were there flowers there before?) Ideally when you deadhead you are trying to stop seedheads forming, so you take the whole flower (and the short stem if it is easier) but definitely take the bit where the flower joins the flower stalk - so you've taken off the bit that's called an 'ovary' and is where the seeds will form.
The brown bit looks like it could be a flower bud about to open. Give it a couple of days.

• Posted: Tue. 29th July 2014 10:51

Re: Re: Dead Heading a lilium Golden Jubilee

Reply from Paul Austin

Ok Thanks so I think that the seedheads are the smaller stems I refer to (I am not a great Gardener!) so I should remove these all together. The instruction says dead head regularly, so I am presuming I am doing this so that they flower again rather than preparing them for next year? Have cropped the image so this appears larger now... Thanks!

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Tue. 29th July 2014 14:42

Re: Dead Heading a lilium Golden Jubilee

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

Just wait for all the flowering to be done, then cut the part had the flowers, leave the whorls of leaves to put energy into the bulb.

• Posted: Tue. 29th July 2014 13:50

Reply from Paul Austin

I only bought last week and there were 3 flowers and now just 1 which is turning also. So am not sure if there is any more flowering to come in this state? Thanks for your advice.

• Posted: Tue. 29th July 2014 14:44

Re: Re: Re: Dead Heading a lilium Golden Jubilee

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

the green pods as you call it are seed heads, you can remove each individual one or wait till the whole truss has finished blooming to remove the whole truss, they will not bloom again. Do not remove the whorls of green leaves, these will feed the bulb for next year.

• Posted: Tue. 29th July 2014 15:59