In progress indicator

foliage dying on sweet peas

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Barbara Sellery

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

My sweet peas are growing up netting against a fence and have been flowering prolifically since end of May. I feed and water them religiously and wonder if I have overdone it because the leaves are now turning yellow and dying and have what looks like mildew on them. Should I just remove the leaves as plants are still flowering, albeit less.

• Views: 626
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Wed. 30th July 2014 11:06

Re: foliage dying on sweet peas

Reply from Philip Johnson

Hello Barbara. It sounds as if you have had great success with your Sweet Peas this year. If the yellowing leaves are just the older ones near the base of the plants, then it is likely to be a sign of 'old age' catching up and not serious at this stage of the season. If the yellowing is all over or near the top of the plants it could be a magnesium deficiency which can be alleviated with a spray of Epsom Salts.
It is highly likely that the plants are struggling with powdery mildew, brought on by the current humid weather. I am not greatly in favour of using sprays, but on this occasion I would suggest using a suitable fungicide before the disease takes over. Hope this helps.
If you are constantly using a high potash fertiliser, I suggest you swap to alternating with a more balanced one such as Phostrogen or Miraclegro.

• Posted: Wed. 30th July 2014 12:50

Re: Re: foliage dying on sweet peas

Reply from Barbara Sellery

Thank you so much for your help Philip and sorry I did not reply straight away. I will take on board your suggestions for next season but as for this season I have just cut them down but don't expect to get any regrowth and am happy that I got many vases full of great flowers - my favourite is one called High Scent.

Re: Re: foliage dying on sweet peas

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Wed. 6th August 2014 12:26