In progress indicator

Suggested flowers for a 6ft x 6ft front garden

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Garry Pelka

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

My grandmother has asked me to take her small front garden back to the beginning and start again. She tried doing it herself about 10 years ago but used only ground cover type plants and never really kept up with the maintenance so now it has been over-run with lily of the valley and doesnt look particularly pleasant. I need suggestions for low maintenance plants for a small square (see title) area that is right next to a main road. Ideally, i would like something(s) with some colour as opposed to all grasses that last as long as possible between spring and autumn (asking a lot i know!). Her garden faces west and we plan to replace all the current top soil with new so am happy to make it as loamy/sandy/chalky etc as needs to be.

Thank you in advance for all suggestions

• Views: 511
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Sun. 3rd August 2014 15:02

Re: Suggested flowers for a 6ft x 6ft front garden

Reply from Nicola

Hi Garry, you can use or advanced search to come up with some ideas or browse our designer gardens & show gardens for inspiration. I searched for low maintenance, sun loving, pink, perennials for you here. If you still cannot find what you need why not hire a garden designer or take this online design course?

Hope that helps.

Nicola

• Posted: Sun. 3rd August 2014 15:13

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

Why don't you keep the ground cover, it is a good weed deterrent, then plant euonymous Japonica, silver queen through it, you can put a clematis through it when it gets established, that would be great colour all year through, then add a shrub rose to bring in summer and put in some bulbs for spring colour. the euonymous is upright so it does not take up to much space, hardly ever needs to be pruned, the rose once a year a good pruning and you might even add a dwarf berberis purpurea, that would be a lovely combination, all the while providing some shade for the lily of the valley, which is keeping it weed free and not too much pruning.

• Posted: Sun. 3rd August 2014 16:16

Reply from Garry Pelka

Thanks Nicola, i will do this but i would still appreciate comments from other gardeners as this gives me a good idea as to popularity, ease of care etc from people currently "using" it

Elaine - thanks for the idea, it sounds quite nice. The biggest problem is that my grandmother doesnt particularly like the lily of the valley. Familiarity breeds contempt i guess?!

• Posted: Sun. 3rd August 2014 16:52

Re: Re: Suggested flowers for a 6ft x 6ft front garden

Reply from john

Penstemon 'Garnet', nice bright colour, very reliable easy grower. These can be cut back quite hard in the spring and look good through Summer and Autumn. So they need a 'haircut' once a year, is that low maintenance ? I have a few in my garden and wouldnt be without them.

Re: Re: Suggested flowers for a 6ft x 6ft front garden

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Thu. 14th August 2014 14:25

Reply from Garry Pelka

Thanks John - i will have a look at them.

• Posted: Sun. 17th August 2014 14:47