OK
In progress indicator

This is the continuation of the previous post showing the primula vulagaris error

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Identify a plant

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I bought 2 pkts of seeds from Chilterns this spring they were primula vulgaris & P. veris. They were sown in sterile pots with sterile compost & covered with plastic as per instruction. Germination was poor the P.vulgaris only 1 seed germinated the veris 3 seeds germinated. As they grew all were obviously not what they were supposed to be. I have been in contact with Chiltern & they plan to replace them but so far cannot identify them. For ease of identifying each plant I have named them cowslip 1, 2 & 3 the other is just primrose. So far only 1 listed as cowslip 1 has blooms they resemble a myosotis but the flowers are such small clusters with each flower being minute. Because I can only post 3 pictures I will send the p.vulgaris separately. . this is listed as primrose.it is now at least 5 times the size shown with a thick centre growth very healthy looking and no evidence of flowers. Thanks Dawn Griffis

This is the continuation of the previous post showing the primula vulagaris error

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 653
  • Replies: 13
  • Posted: Fri. 8th August 2014 15:15

Re: This is the continuation of the previous post showing the primula vulagaris error

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

Looks like some type of geranium.

• Posted: Fri. 8th August 2014 16:39

Re: Re: This is the continuation of the previous post showing the primula vulagaris error

Reply from Identify a plant

That is what I thought but without flowers its hard to be certain. I live in Vermont where winter temps can go as low as minus 36 C. Some geraniums survive here but without blooms I hesitate to put it in the ground, the curiosity is driving me nuts on all of my submissions to you.

• Posted: Fri. 8th August 2014 16:48

Re: Re: Re: This is the continuation of the previous post showing the primula vulagaris error

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

I am in Oregon, don't remember the conversion from centigrade to Fahrenheit, I have plants that survive 10 degrees Fahrenheit and geraniums are one of those plants that are tough, it maybe G. macrorrhizum, crush the leaf and see if it smells.

• Posted: Fri. 8th August 2014 18:06

Re: Re: Re: Re: This is the continuation of the previous post showing the primula vulagaris error

we can go as low as minus 35 F and some do survive here. I crushed a leaf, to me it smells muskie my husband says it stinks!!

• Posted: Fri. 8th August 2014 18:21

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is the continuation of the previous post showing the primula vulagaris error

Elaine,
I checked the geranium you suggested the leaf is identical to mine it is definitely vigorous and good to zone 3 which is perfect for me I definitely have a place or two for it- thank you so much now for the other 3 plants - do you have any idea for those? Dawn

• Posted: Fri. 8th August 2014 18:55

Re: Re: Re: This is the continuation of the previous post showing the primula vulagaris error

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

I only see one picture, where are the others? found it in plant ID

• Posted: Fri. 8th August 2014 22:18

Re: This is the continuation of the previous post showing the primula vulagaris error

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

the first picture looks like arabis hirsuto, check it out, only time will tell, it is a rock garden plant, blooms for a long time in March for me and oh so fragrant. You will have to post the flowers fot the other two.

• Posted: Fri. 8th August 2014 22:25

Re: Re: This is the continuation of the previous post showing the primula vulagaris error

Elaine,
The one on the right or 3rd one has flowers but they are minute part of very small clusters they look like myosotis or forget me nots I looked at the flowers with a magnifying glass and the flower is is just like what I said with a yellow centre. the second or one in the middle has the appearance of just a spreading foliage plant.

• Posted: Sat. 9th August 2014 00:41

Elaine, I checked on the arabis hirsuto the growth pattern is the same as mine but mine the leaves are very smooth as are the edges of the leaves not at all seregated as those appear.

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Sat. 9th August 2014 00:49

Re: Re: Re: Re: This is the continuation of the previous post showing the primula vulagaris error

Reply from Carol

Could it be an evening primrose? (Oenothera)

• Posted: Sat. 9th August 2014 08:58

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is the continuation of the previous post showing the primula vulagaris error

I checked this suggestion out - I do believe you are right thank you- now for the other two please. Dawn

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is the continuation of the previous post showing the primula vulagaris errorRe: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is the continuation of the previous post showing the primula vulagaris error

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Sat. 9th August 2014 12:43

Reply from Carol

This geranium looks like a 'wild' geranium to me - I found a plant called G.carolinianum online that had very similar leaves and very small white flowers. Borderline weed/ wildflower rather than garden plant...

• Posted: Sat. 9th August 2014 09:03

Thanks for suggestion Carol but having looked at the ones Elaine suggested the leaves look identical. I will check your suggestion out, but do you think a reputable company would have weeds around that could get mixed up with others? I have never had this problem with Chiltern's before, but this time I seemed to have hit the Jack pot. I'll also check your other suggestion. Dawn

• Posted: Sat. 9th August 2014 10:49