In progress indicator

Lavender

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from sue

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Happy New Year to all fellow gardeners ;)

I know it's a bit early in the year but can someone advise which is the best lavender plant for fragrance / tolerance and very little maintenance.

Thank you

• Views: 1025
  • Replies: 7
  • Posted: Wed. 14th January 2015 17:54

Re: Lavender

Reply from Nicola

Hi Sue, the Garden Revival viewers say L. angustifolia 'Hidcote' Hope that helps?

• Posted: Wed. 14th January 2015 20:02

Reply from meadowland

Hi Sue, Hidcote seems the one..

Are you going to use it for a hedge or an individual plant/p
ot?

• Posted: Tue. 20th January 2015 17:29

Re: Re: Lavender

Reply from sue

Thank you for the replies, Meadowland I will be putting the Lavender in a container/pot, all my plants are in containers / pots. What type of compost do you plant it in?

Regard

Sue

• Posted: Wed. 21st January 2015 14:30

Re: Re: Re: Lavender

Reply from Nicola

Hi Sue, you can refer to this plant for Lavender information as they are all treated the same.

"Grow in moderately fertile, well-drained, preferably alkaline or neutral soil in sun. Best in a sheltered position. Will not tolerate waterlogged conditions. High nitrogen fertilisers & manure will cause the plant to flop. Semi-evergreen in colder areas."

I hope that helps,
Nicola

• Posted: Wed. 21st January 2015 14:44

Reply from meadowland

Hi Sue,
Nicola has said it all re; the soil conditions......as long as its not too fertile.Good luck!

• Posted: Wed. 21st January 2015 17:03

Reply from Anna

I'm no expert but I grew lavendula angustifolia (English lavender) from seed as a complete novice and it seems to be fragrant, well-behaved and even thrives in quite clayey soil. My french and spanish lavenders didn't survive. Would like to try one of the little ones at some point, but for unkillable, English lavender is adapted to the land!

• Posted: Mon. 26th January 2015 18:04

Reply from Inez Hardie

I grow my lavender in gravel beds at the front of my house... Hidcote and Munstead mainly though I also have a white one called eidelweis. I usually take cuttings and grow on in greenhouse over winter. All of the above have good fragrance. I have tried growing French lavender but no success as it's too cold and wet here in Scotland.

Re: LavenderRe: LavenderRe: Lavender

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Sun. 5th April 2015 14:24