In progress indicator

inaccessible garden!

In progress indicator
Full size image

General post from Sue Osmaston

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

At the end of last September, I downsized from a ½ acre steeply sloping garden to a small ‘cottage’ garden, which I hoped would be easier to manage.
There is no lawn to mow, but I have open fields on each side of the property with sheep doing all the mowing for me!
The problem is that the only bit of cultivated garden lies in two tiers above a dry stone wall – see pictures. There are some rather steep steps up to the garden, but I am actually quite fearful of falling over the edge of the wall on to the tarmac drive below – so I haven’t begun to tackle it as yet.
I would be glad of any suggestions as to how to make this garden easier to access and to maintain? It is south facing, but open to the prevailing westerly wind. I don’t know about the Ph factor as yet, but this is the Lake District, so I imagine it will be inclining towards acid, rather than alkaline.

• Views: 738
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Sun. 1st February 2015 15:18

Re: inaccessible garden!

Reply from Nicola

Hi Sue, thanks for the question. Did you have problems adding photos? They need to be jpeg and less than 4MB in size. Thanks Nicola

• Posted: Sun. 1st February 2015 20:44

Reply from Sue Osmaston

I have now managed to attach a couple of better photos, which will give you some idea of the problem? It was difficult because of the light, but the wall is about 1.65 metres high at its tallest point.

Re: inaccessible garden!Re: inaccessible garden!Re: inaccessible garden!Re: inaccessible garden!Re: inaccessible garden!Re: inaccessible garden!

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Tue. 3rd February 2015 09:34

Reply from Clockhouse Nursery

Looks like you have an interesting garden. We like gardens with different levels although maintaining them is often slightly more tricky. Not in terms of plant care, more the physical effort.
Your plant choices will be much the same as any garden as most plants look like they will suit your sheltered location. Maybe you could consider using some slow growing evergreens to give you a more permanent plant structure all year.
It seems that your biggest problem is a fear of falling off the edge. Maybe you could plant a line of low growing species, or a buxus hedge, along the top of the wall line and create a pathway a couple of feet behind them, so that when you maintain taller planting behind, you are not right next to the edge. In our opinion a fence would spoil the look of your layout but that is up to you.

• Posted: Tue. 3rd February 2015 10:05

Reply from Sue Osmaston

Thank you - I like the idea of a box hedge with a path behind it- but I also want to retain the aubretia and similar plants which will tumble over the top of the wall. I'll probably introduce a few small ferns etc to plant between the stones too. That might be a better solution than adding a wrought iron rail as someone else has suggested.

• Posted: Tue. 3rd February 2015 11:30