In progress indicator

How to prune Buddleja Morning Mist

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from JAN LESSER

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have a Buddleja Morning Mist in a sunny well-drained bed. The label says it grows no higher than one metre, which suite me. But how hard should I prune it - down to the ground in March or not so drastically? I've had it a few years and have pruned it to about 6 inches, but it has now a narrow base and a top-heavy looking upper part with its leaves and flowers. Has anyone got a similar shrub and how are you pruning it. Thanks

• Views: 1375
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Mon. 9th February 2015 10:45

Re: How to prune Buddleja Morning Mist

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Jan,
Buddleja is one shrub that can be cut back almost to the base to rejuvenate the plant. Do this in early spring and try to cut just above an outward-facing bud to encourage low branches to sprout out.
All the best,
Kathy C

• Posted: Tue. 10th February 2015 18:58

Re: How to prune Buddleja Morning Mist

Reply from Amanda

I'm assuming that the miniature buddleas are the same as the larger ones in that they just have a single stem rather than sprouting many stems from the ground and if so I would leave at least two bud joints on the stem in case one fails, so I would not cut it down to ground level unless you're absolutely sure. But I see this post is from last year so I would be interested to know what you did in the end?

• Posted: Sun. 7th August 2016 14:48