In progress indicator

Non-flowering vinca

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from rebecca wingar

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have 3 Vinca in total, 1 in my front garden and 2 in the back garden. They have spread extremely well in the 5 years since they were planted, and are very healthy, but they have never flowered. Can anyone explain this, and/or give me any tips to solve this.
Many thanks!

• Views: 695
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Fri. 20th February 2015 18:10

Re: Non-flowering vinca

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Rebecca,
You are not alone with this and it can be tricky to get the right balance of light and moisture. In the right place, it will bloom like crazy but if light, ph, and moisture are a bit off, it will be very reluctant to flower. All Vincas bloom best in full sun. It will certainly tolerate shade but it wants at least 6 hours of sun to flower well. If your plants are getting enough sun, try a fertiliser/feed that promotes flower production. I have read from one or two gardeners that their Vinca minors did best in a slightly acid soil. I have Vinca minor that is reluctant to flower but I know that is because 1) it is not getting enough sun and 2) I live in Southern California where it is hot and dry in summer. Vinca major, on the other hand, is a beast and has naturalized on a slope near my house and nothing seems to beat it down! :)
Do you have Vinca minor f. alba 'Gertrude Jekyll' in your 'Plants I Have' list here on Shoot? If not, add it and you will have full care instructions at your fingertips. ;)
All the best,
Kathy C

• Posted: Mon. 23rd February 2015 17:57