OK
In progress indicator

Would this climbing rose be happy in a large pot? The spot I have earmarked is a paved area so I am hoping it will survive in a pot and give some colour to the area.

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Elaine

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Would this climbing rose be happy in a large pot? The spot I have earmarked is a paved area so I am hoping it will survive in a pot and give some colour to the area.

• Views: 395
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Fri. 27th March 2015 16:46

Re: Would this climbing rose be happy in a large pot? The spot I have earmarked is a paved area so I am hoping it will survive in a pot and give some colour to the area.

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Elaine!
Rosa 'Zephirine Drouhin' will thrive in a large pot but it will require extra care to stay happy. As a climber that can reach 3m tall when mature, it will definitely need a strong support. Depending upon the size you start with, you will want to plant it in a container that fits its current size and then gradually pot it larger pots until you reach the final, desired pot size. It will need regular feeding and, once mature, root pruning every 3-4 years so the roots do no girdle in the pot. Only problem with that is since this is a climber, it will be quite an undertaking to root prune.
Hope this has been helpful.
All the best,
Kathy C

• Posted: Wed. 8th April 2015 19:24

Re: Re: Would this climbing rose be happy in a large pot? The spot I have earmarked is a paved area so I am hoping it will survive in a pot and give some colour to the area.

Reply from Elaine

Hi Kathy,

Thank you for your advice. I have taken the plunge and planted the rose in a pot against the garage wall. I am looking forward to see how it performs. Thank you once again.

Elaine.

• Posted: Wed. 15th April 2015 18:49