In progress indicator

Is this a weed and what is it?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Philip Slade

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi everyone

Please see the attached photo. I have the unidentifiable plant in my garden which I think is a weed. It is everywhere, grows quickly and smothers out my plants. It is relatively easy to weed out but comes back, so I guess it is one of these that come from rhizomes or something similar.

Can anyone help identify it, and give me any tips to get rid of it?

This along, with the ground elder just take over.

Is this a weed and what is it?

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 789
  • Replies: 10
  • Posted: Sat. 6th June 2015 14:18

Re: Is this a weed and what is it?

Reply from Christine

Hi Philip

Does it develop long straggly flower stems & small white flowers? If so, possibly chickweed.

• Posted: Sun. 7th June 2015 06:37

Reply from Andrea. Newham

Hello Phillip....how does it develop ie: does it put up a flower stem, what colour are flowers? I don't think it's chickweed however. Their leaves are much divided.

• Posted: Fri. 19th June 2015 08:49

Reply from Philip Slade

Hi folks,

Thanks for the replies. I don't think it is chickweed. It is stem forming. I have never seen it flower though. It just keeps repeating itself and creasing in height. I have added a couple more pictures.

Re: Is this a weed and what is it?Re: Is this a weed and what is it?

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Sun. 21st June 2015 08:54

Hmmmm...don't recognise that from amongst my own weeds I'm afraid. Have you tried digging it up as complete as possible and seeing what the root system is like. It's possibly a runner in which case it'll just sprout from whatever is left in the ground like buttercups and couch grass. ..damned nuisance! Have you tried that gell killer that you touch to the leaves?

• Posted: Sun. 21st June 2015 14:32

Re: Re: Is this a weed and what is it?

Reply from Philip Slade

Andrea

I have had a dig and yes there is a root system . It's quite big. At least the roots are substantially thicker than the weed above ground.

I haven't tried the roundup gel, because i have heard it doesn't really work.

Thanks for your help.

• Posted: Sun. 21st June 2015 17:02

Hiya - I don't think it will be good for this weed now you've described the root system....you need a tough killer that works below the surface as well as above.
as for the gel I've found it great for awkward weeds like dandelions and dock where they are too close to a plant to spray or dig out. Just takes a while.

• Posted: Mon. 22nd June 2015 06:51

Reply from Philip Slade

I decided to leave some of my weed alone and see what it did. Well it turns out it has a flower, and quite a bonnie one too.

Hopefully someone will know what it is now.

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Tue. 1st September 2015 16:43

Reply from Nicola

Hi Philip, a follower on social media thinks it is an orange Alstroemeria. I hope this helps? Kind regards, Nicola

• Posted: Tue. 1st September 2015 17:44

I was about to add the same comment to Nicolas. ...an alstromeria! They are a beautiful plant but didn't realise they were so 'weedy' as I've never grown them!

• Posted: Tue. 1st September 2015 18:48

Reply from Philip Slade

Yep I think that's it. All this time I have been calling it a weed because it smothers everything. So it is actually a lily. I have been pulling it out for years, it doesn't seem to mind.

Thank you. These forums are so helpful.

• Posted: Tue. 1st September 2015 19:29