In progress indicator

Tomato blight prevention

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Clive Giddens

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi, I have tried to grow tomato's for 2 years now but to no success, I seem to have had blight, is it best to spray a fungicide as a prevention if so at what stage? any other help would be great. some plants in green house, some out side, cherry variety.

• Views: 1271
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Fri. 8th May 2009 23:01

Preventing blight

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Clive,
Though we can't control the weather (blight likes cool, damp, wet, weather, this is what I have been told works well in preventing blight:
- Apply a mulch under the plants to prevent water from splashing up on the leaves (water encourages the fungus to grow).
- Water in the early morning - not overnight as this creates a very humid environment aroung the plant and water will be on the leaves longer rather than 'burning off' in the morning sun.
- Make sure there is enough space between the plants.
- Avoid working around the plants when they are wet.
- Remove and destroy any diseased branches as soon as you see them.
- Avoid planting tomatoes where tomatoes, peppers, potatoes or aubergines were planted the year before.
- Choose disease resistant varieties - heirloom types tend to be more prone to blight than newer cultivars.
- Weed, weed, weed!
- Thoroughly clean away dead plants and debris in autumn - this is VERY important since some blights overwinter in plant residue and are soil-borne.
- Feed as regularly as recommended by whichever fertiliser you choose to use - a healthy plant will be better able to fight disease.
Many experts say not to bother with fungicides because once you see the symptoms/signs, it is too late. However, you can use it as soon as you see the first sign of blight. It can't hurt and just might keep it at bay. I have heard that using black landscape fabric has been very effective at preventing blight but I haven't used it myself.
Hope this is of some help. Please let me know how you get on.
Kathy C.

• Posted: Wed. 13th May 2009 04:47