In progress indicator

Rosa Madame Alfred Carriere

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Sarah Crook

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

This is a classic climbing rose which does well on a north wall. But your "Where to Grow" states east, west and south only. I certainly have two romping away on a north facing wall in North Yorkshire and they are in that situation in one of the Castle Howard private gardens I understand.

• Views: 376
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Wed. 1st June 2016 12:28

Re: Rosa Madame Alfred Carriere

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Sarah,

As a general rule, north-facing walls pose a challenge for growing happy climbing roses. There are a very few, however, that will do better than most in that situation. You are correct that 'Madame Alfred Carriere' is, indeed, one of those few that bends the rules. ;)

Roses such as 'Madame Alfred Carriere' raise a bit of dilemma for reputable gardening websites and growers for this very reason. Adding 'north-facing' to aspect for a few might lead less experienced gardeners to think all roses are suitable for a north-facing wall. I most certainly trust the advice of Shoot but I did take a peek at a few other sites to see their recommendations for climbing roses on north-facing walls. Those I deem 'experts' don't quite agree on which roses tolerate this aspect, but a few appeared consistently on the majority of lists. 'Claire Austin', 'A Shropshire Lad', 'The Generous Gardener', 'New Dawn', 'Alberic Barbier', 'Teasing Georgia', 'Crown Princess Margareta', 'The Pilgrim', 'Graham Thomas'

In this this situation, I believe it is best to include in cultivation notes the fact that 'Madame Alfred Carriere' is a rare exception to the rose aspect rule and is suitable for a north-facing aspect.

Thanks so much for raising this questions. It is this attention to detail that is such a valuable quality amongst Shoot members!

All the best
Kathy

• Posted: Mon. 6th June 2016 17:04