In progress indicator

Plants for covering a wall

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Ian Macdonald

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I own a large boundary wall made of ugly concrete slabs. It is 9' high by 100' long and due to large trees in the neighbours garden it is in the shade a lot of the day.
What plants would be best to cover it ?

They need to be: fast growing and evergreen.
Thank you, Mebian

• Views: 816
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Fri. 15th May 2009 22:27

Hedging for wildlife?

Reply from Fi

I know this is an obsession of mine, but I can't think of anything better than planting a mixed hedgerow in front of said concrete.
You could use mixtures of tall evergreen and deciduous shrubs and climbers, such as
privet, berberis, beech, viburnum, photinia, and climbing through evergreen jasmine, ivy or clematis. You could even use Rosa Rugosa amongst the other shrubs for their red hips.
Don't plant too close as it will be too dry under the wall, enrich the soil with plenty of compost, and water during the first year.
Good luck - post a pic once you're done!
Fi

• Posted: Fri. 15th May 2009 23:41

Plants for covering a wall

Reply from Marissa Zoppellini

Hi Mebian, I would start by putting in several ivy plants which will form a backdrop - there are many cultivars to choose from, giving a selection of large, small, variegated and curled leaves to choose from. Fatshedera lizei is an evergreen with nice leaves that could be trained up the wall. I would also recommend Mahonia x media 'Charity' (or other cultivars), Fatsia japonia, Aucuba japonica cultivar and Prunus lusitanica, which are all evergreen shrubs suited to your conditions. If there is some light available during part of the day, I would also put in honeysuckle and clematis. If you have width in your garden, put in some trees of your own. Another idea is to paint the wall, which may make it less conspicuous. All the best, Marissa

• Posted: Sat. 16th May 2009 11:24

Rose Alberic Barbier

Reply from Amanda

I love the idea of the wildlife hedge.
I planted this rose as a bare root 7 years ago to cover a north facing wall of an ugly shed. Almost directly in front of it is a large leafy Magnolia Stellata and at the back are apple trees, so it had quite a challenge to establish with low light levels and soggy soil. I tried various other things but to no avail. This rose just took off. Very pretty and smells gorgeous.

Rose Alberic Barbier

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Mon. 8th June 2009 17:27

oops

Reply from Amanda

Sorry, I realise you said it must be evergreen and of course the rose isnt but there may be other things you can plant with it.

• Posted: Mon. 8th June 2009 19:15