OK
In progress indicator

Hi, I usually cut this clematis back in the autumn but due to my wife being ill didn't get round to it. Is it now too late to risk cutting it back with all the frost about?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Michael Flynn

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi, I usually cut this clematis back in the autumn but due to my wife being ill didn't get round to it. Is it now too late to risk cutting it back with all the frost about?

• Views: 471
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Mon. 5th December 2016 09:41

Re: Hi, I usually cut this clematis back in the autumn but due to my wife being ill didn't get round to it. Is it now too late to risk cutting it back with all the frost about?

Reply from Mr P Skeggs-Gooch

Hi Michael,
I'd leave it until the frost is over. Usually Will Goodwin is advised for Feb/March pruning and to cut it about 1/2 to 2/3 the area you want to cover. (light prune or group 2)
I hope that is of help.
Peter

• Posted: Fri. 16th December 2016 21:29

Re: Hi, I usually cut this clematis back in the autumn but due to my wife being ill didn't get round to it. Is it now too late to risk cutting it back with all the frost about?

Reply from Seasons Gardening

Hi,
I think you will be fine cutting it back even in the middle of winter,
it is a Clematis in the pruning group 2 which are all cut back in late winter, early spring and sometimes after their first flush of flowers.
For more info, https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=346

Hope that helps,
Franne

• Posted: Sat. 17th December 2016 09:48