In progress indicator

Front garden

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Antonia Page

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi, I would dearly love to revamp my front garden which is basically just a patch of grass that I begrudgingly mow every now and then. I'd love to have a garden that made me smile each time I arrive home from work!
It's about 2.5m x 4m, west facing and has no shelter, it is raised from the road with a brick retaining wall. I'm on chalky soil but I have no idea what's beneath the grass - it could be a load of rubble for all I know!
If you could please provide me with some advice as to where to start (how best to remove the grass, whether a weed-suppressing membrane would be a good idea, etc), any suggestions on suitable plants (I'm a wildlife nut so anything that attracts insects or other animals would be great) and anything else you can think of would be most gratefully appreciated as it's a bit of a daunting task for me at the moment! Oh and, as I'm sure most people say, I'd like to keep the budget as low as possible too!
Many thanks.

• Views: 679
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Tue. 2nd June 2009 11:13

Be inspired and put a sparkle back into your front garden!

Reply from Matt Nichol

Antonia,

Great to hear you don't want to pave your front garden. Wildlife is a great thing to want to encourage and I commend you. Grass is high maintenance and when not looked after really makes things look uncared for. I removed all my grass at the front of my house and replaced with a gravel garden, feature pots and some planting.

You have limited space, so perhaps a small tree, like Malus 'John Downie' or M. 'Red Jade' would give you interest and height, somewhere for the birds to hag out! Underplant with predominantly shrubs and a to a lesser extent perennials to keep work load down. I suggest that because the area is raised up and I presume on reasonably free draining soil, a selection of Mediterranean plants (see Shoot lists) would be good. Teucrium fructicans 'Compactum', Salvia officinalis 'Purpurascens, Salix lanata, Lavanders, Kniphofia 'Little Maid' perhaps even a Dwarf Lilac. This list goes on but pick plants that are not going to get too big. If you have a fence of cover, a Pyrocantha is great for insects, winter cover and birds love the berries. You should be able to get an APL registered landscape company to do something reasonable for £700-1000 excluding any design work? Need help with a design?

Matt

Matt Nichol MSGD
http://www.broadviewgardendesign.co.uk
http://www.sgd.org.uk

• Posted: Thu. 4th June 2009 18:31