In progress indicator

Hi! and help please?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Lesley Deakin

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have just started gardening, I won't b taking it too seriously but I'd like to be able to sit outside and enjoy it next summer. It's now actually looking like a garden instead of the junkyard it resembled when I moved in a year ago.

However, I have 3 plants species unknown! One I inherited and 2 I bought for 49p from the local shops. I would be really grateful if someone could tell me what they are.

Thank you :)
Lesley

User added forum post image

• Views: 992
  • Replies: 6
  • Posted: Fri. 5th June 2009 16:06

Not sure but...

Reply from Laura Thomas

second one is a pansy or viola - there are many varieties so not sure which one this is

last one I thought might be a Dog Hobble - I uploaded a couple of images in Spring - click photos tab
but there is something about the leaves that remind me of Camellia

First one is a mystery to me

• Posted: Fri. 5th June 2009 21:39

Third Photo

Reply from Charlotte

Hello
I wondered if the third one could be a Photinia. We have one that has similar leaves to your plant, although I have to admit, they're quite different from those pictured in the Shoot database. I suppose there are lots of variations though. Regards, Charlotte

• Posted: Sun. 7th June 2009 17:20

Mystery plants

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Lesley,
It looks like your first plant is Prunus laurocerasus and it good for a shady spot.
Like another member said, the second on is some sort of Viola.
The third one is a Pieris but I think there is something else growing in with it! The rounder, glossier, darker leaves don't look like any Pieris to me.
Kathy C.

• Posted: Tue. 9th June 2009 03:46

thank you

Reply from Lesley Deakin

thank you all for your replies, i will get reading up on those plants :) the little viola had me confused because it spreads so much and completely covers the ground area in no time.

I checked the bottom plant and there is definately only one plant in there. Maybe I will be a little wiser once they have grown.

Thank you again :)
Lesley

• Posted: Tue. 9th June 2009 08:02

Heavenly Bamboo?

Reply from Fi

Hi Lesley, I wonder if the third pic is the
Nandina Domestica or Heavenly bamboo common name? If it is, it needs a sheltered spot in sun/light shade, slightly acid or rich humus soil.
Do let us know I love a quiz!
Fi

• Posted: Thu. 11th June 2009 20:43

FIRST ONE!

Reply from Lesley Deakin

Just for future reference, if anyone else has the same question, I now know that the first one is:

Sollya heterophylla
bluebell creeper

One mystery solved :D

• Posted: Tue. 30th June 2009 12:31