In progress indicator

Miss Kim Lilac planting in a pot

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from DIANE WILDERSPIN

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have just bought a Miss Kim lilac and was told to plant it in ericaceous compost which I have done, is this correct ?

• Views: 1279
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Sat. 20th June 2009 21:44

Lilac in a pot

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Diane,
Well, not sure who gave you that advice, but I disagree with it. As a general rule, Syringa (Lilacs) tolerate a wide range of soil conditions - including slightly acidic to alkaline. In fact, they prefer a slightly alkaline soil, a type NOT created by ericaeous compost. Ericaceous compost is an acidic compost best for planting things like Rhododendrons, Camellias, Ericas, etc. I would advise you to change the compost.
Kathy C

• Posted: Mon. 22nd June 2009 21:53

Lilac in a pot

Reply from DIANE WILDERSPIN

As this lilac is a lavender bluish colour perhaps this was the reason for using this type of compost ? would it damage the lilac? if so how?

• Posted: Mon. 22nd June 2009 22:37

Lilac in a pot

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Diane,
Controlling flower colour with soil ph is true for Hydrangea (and I think Pulmonaria but not 100% sure on that) but not for Lilac. If the soil is too acidic, it will not allow certain nutrients to dissolve for the plant to take up, thus robbing it of what it needs. Acid-loving plants are okay with this and thrive with less of some nutrients, but plants that do best in neutral or slightly alkaline soil may show signs of nutrient deficiencies (yellowing leaves, poor, stunted growth, etc).
Kathy C.

• Posted: Mon. 22nd June 2009 23:06