In progress indicator

Ladybird larvae

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Georgie

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Just thought I'd share this picture. I have lots of these in the garden at the moment but sadly they are Harlequins rather than our native species.

Georgie

Ladybird larvae

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 928
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Sun. 28th June 2009 21:57

Friend & Foe

Reply from Laura Thomas

Hi Georgie

like you, my garden is running alive with Harlequins - instead of being smothered in aphids like it usually is. So for me it's a god send as whatever native ladybirds were around were too few to manage the aphid harvest.

However we are now being told these are a carnivorous 'pest' and scientists are proposing ways to biologically control them. More info

I shall be visiting the Royal Society exhibition this week where this is one of the topics so will update with any info I can find out

Laura

• Posted: Tue. 30th June 2009 09:19

Dilemma

Reply from Georgie

Hi Laura

Yes, I caught that article on the radio. It's such a dilemma for the organic gardener isn't it? I'll be interested to read any further info you glean from the Royal Society. But in the meantime I won't be killing them - doubt I'd catch them all in any case....

Georgie

• Posted: Tue. 30th June 2009 18:39

Eradicate them!

Reply from Fi

Sorry guys. But in the same way that Spanish bluebells wipe out our own species, so do Harlequins - so you may have to put up with some homegrown aphids and get rid of Harlequins. In any case, whatever your view I believe there is a site to report these - not sure of the address but Google should work.
Think of them as American Crayfish outstripping our own!
Fi

• Posted: Thu. 2nd July 2009 23:26