In progress indicator

Poisonous plants?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Lesley Deakin

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi

Can anyone please tell me if Lilac bushes are poisonous to dogs?

I am desparate to screen off the bottom of my garden due to kids climbing the fence and peering in at me!

I bought a Wisteria, planted it, then discovered it was poisonous and promptly removed it :(

I need a shrub or small tree, something that will grow about H 3m, W 2m that won't kill my beloved pugs :D

Any help is much appreciated, thank you.

Lesley

• Views: 1286
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Tue. 30th June 2009 10:43

Poisonous plants?

Reply from Marissa Zoppellini

Hi Lesley, I have not heard of Lilac being a problem with dogs. Here is a link to the RSPCA website concerning harmful plants:

http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RSPCA/Page/RSPCAFAQTemp&cid=1114778749342&articleId=1123153958927

As for small trees, I can recommend one of the smaller Sorbus', eg S. 'Joseph Rock' or Amelanchier lamarckii. Both have spring flowers and good autumn colour and berries and are wildlife/doglife friendly. Hope this helps, Marissa

• Posted: Thu. 2nd July 2009 15:23

Another idea

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Lesley,
Great suggestions from Marissa, but thought of an evergreen one that might work. It is slightly spiny - which your dogs - and nosy kids should avoid - and it is non-toxic. Might want to look into Elaeagnus pungens - Thorny elaeagnus. It gets to 4m tall, 5m wide and doesn't need much maintenance. There are quite a few cultivars available to give some variety.
Hope this is useful!
Kathy C.

• Posted: Thu. 2nd July 2009 23:07

thank you

Reply from Lesley Deakin

Thank you both, I will certainly be checking all the ideas out :)

• Posted: Fri. 3rd July 2009 07:57