In progress indicator

Help with my Acer

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Michelle Lewis

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Please can someone help i have an Acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum' and the leaves look all burnt, it looks as though it has been watered whilst in the sun but i know it has not please can someone advise

Help with my Acer

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 900
  • Replies: 6
  • Posted: Sun. 5th July 2009 19:41

Sun scorch

Reply from Georgie

Hi Michelle

This is a very common problem with this particular Acer. You don't say where your plant is sited but my guess is that it's east facing and therefore the sun is catching the early morning dew and scorching the leaves.

Georgie

• Posted: Sun. 5th July 2009 22:22

Acer Palmatum

Reply from Owen Breen

That may be entirely correct, however, before you move the plant consider this. My Acer P. A. is west facing and had the same problem. It seems to be guaranteed with this tree, I have never seen one that does not appear like that at some stage. I know that the roots are very susceptible, especially at planting and times of moving the plant, so I would be tempted to take no action as undue disturbance to the roots can be fatal.

• Posted: Mon. 6th July 2009 12:32

help with my Acer

Reply from Michelle Lewis

Thanks Georgie, yes thats proberly the reason, the sun catches my garden early in the morning. im new to all this gardening stuff so your advice is very much appreciated, Cheers

• Posted: Mon. 6th July 2009 11:55

Acer Palmatum

Reply from Owen Breen

That may well be entirely correct, however, before you move the plant consider this. My Acer P. A. is west facing and had the same problem. It seems to be guaranteed with this tree, I have never seen one that does not appear like that at some stage. I know that the roots are very susceptible, especially at planting and times of moving the plant, so I would be tempted to take no action as undue disturbance to the roots can be fatal.

• Posted: Mon. 6th July 2009 12:35

Debateable

Reply from Laura Thomas

Acers are prone to scorch for all sorts of reasons -
- frost, drought, drying winds, and hot sun. See RHS advice. There's also a lot of chat on this blog about your particular acer

The problem is caused when the leaves lose more water than the roots can absorb.
I believe maples have a lot of surface root and as we have had such a hot dry spring and early summer, consider that it might just be thirsty.
I am sure a water and a feed will help.

My daughter bought an acer (Trompenburg) recently and forgot to water it so all its leaves crisped, curled and fell off. By the time she gave it to me a month ago to 'save' it was just a stalk - now look at it.

Debateable

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Mon. 6th July 2009 16:40

Good point

Reply from Owen Breen

Waterlogging is probably the most common cause of irreversable fatality in Maples, winter waterlogging is certainly without cure.

• Posted: Mon. 13th July 2009 01:22