In progress indicator

Unknown Tree

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Lisa

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

And the 2nd one I can't identify is this tree.
I haven't got a winter picture. But it is deciduous and comes into leave quite late. It has got a bare stem, just all the other plants growing around it obscure it a bit. So far it hasn't flowered (I only live here since February) and I haven;t seen any fruits or seeds.
There is one thing I find peculiar, most tips of the branches have no leaves for 10-20cm, especially the upper branches.
Any Idea what this is called and how big it will get?
Many Thanks, Lisa

Unknown Tree

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 545
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Mon. 6th July 2009 19:12

The Leaves

Reply from Lisa

The Leaves

The Leaves

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Mon. 6th July 2009 19:14

The Bark

Reply from Lisa

The Bark

The Bark

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Mon. 6th July 2009 19:16

Leaves, both sides

Reply from Lisa

Both sides of the leave

Leaves, both sides

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Mon. 6th July 2009 19:29

Wild guess

Reply from Laura Thomas

thanks for posting this - and all the pics.

Two questions - is the leaf stalk hairy? And does the leaf base have a rounded edge one side and straightish the other (can't quite tell from the pic)

If so it might be a Smooth-Leaved Elm (Ulmus Carpinifolia) or one of this genus - having looked through the Trees & Shrubs of Britain (Readers Digest) this is my best guess.

• Posted: Wed. 8th July 2009 21:32

I hope not?!

Reply from Lisa

Hi Laura,
No hairs anywhere. The stalk is really smooth. And the leave base is pointed on both sides. But thanks for your effort. I've already locked through our tree books and had lots of "might be(s)", but no "thats it". I think I will have to wait until I can see some sort of flower, fruit or seed.
I hope it won't be a 30m tree. I've already got an overgrown half standard Bramley and a Mountain Ash in my small front garden. Should this be an Elm, will I have any sun left in a couple of years??!!
Many Thanks, Lisa

• Posted: Thu. 9th July 2009 07:25